Try Splunk out
This documentation does not apply to the most recent version of Splunk. Click here for the latest version.
Try Splunk out
You're probably wondering exactly how Splunk works and, more importantly, what it can do for you. The fastest and easiest way to find out is to give it a try. You can use your desktop or laptop computer to perform an initial evaluation of the product. Here are some initial steps:
1. Review the system requirements. This is an important first step that helps you determine what kinds of machines are capable of running Splunk.
Note: Splunk's resource needs depend on what you want to do with it. The system requirements for evaluating Splunk depend on what parts of Splunk you are evaluating. If you're evaluating features such as log file collection or performance monitoring, Splunk won't put much of a burden on a desktop or laptop. It can also be evaluated on a virtual machine. If you're using it to consume large quantities of data, however, Splunk can be resource-intensive.
Splunk recommends that you install the software on a server, even for evaluation purposes. Installing on a server with data that you are interested in capturing provides for a better evaluation experience. Additionally, a server is more capable of handling resource-intensive evaluation tasks.
A production instance requires more consideration into hardware planning - so much so, that we've written a topic about it in our Installation Manual. Be sure to review that topic for specific information on the kind of hardware needed for a production-level deployment, and how Splunk can and should be distributed across those kinds of deployments.
Before you run Splunk, always make sure that you have the computing power it takes to use it for your specific needs.
2. Learn what types of Windows data Splunk can access (from the Getting Data In Manual.)
3. Read the "Before you start the tutorial" chapter in the Splunk Tutorial for pertinent pre-evaluation information and step-by-step Windows installation instructions.
4. Install Splunk on your evaluation system.
5. Try the Splunk Tutorial. It's a great way to learn how to start evaluating the product.
This documentation applies to the following versions of Splunk: 4.2 , 4.2.1 , 4.2.2 , 4.2.3 , 4.2.4 , 4.2.5 , 4.3 , 4.3.1 , 4.3.2 , 4.3.3 , 4.3.4 , 4.3.5 , 4.3.6 , 4.3.7 , 5.0 , 5.0.1 , 5.0.2 , 5.0.3 , 5.0.4 , 5.0.5 , 5.0.6 , 5.0.7 , 5.0.8 , 5.0.9 , 5.0.10 , 5.0.11 , 5.0.12