Manuals for the Splunk administrator
This Admin manual is one of several books with important information and procedures for the Splunk administrator. If you're responsible for configuring, running, and maintaining Splunk as a service for yourself or other users, start with this book. Then go to these other manuals for details on specific areas of Splunk administration:
Where to learn about specific aspects of Splunk administration
This table will help orient you to the set of books of primary interest to the Splunk administrator:
Other books of interest to the Splunk administrator
In addition to the manuals that describe the primary adminstration tasks, you might want to visit other manuals from time to time, depending on the size of your Splunk installation and the scope of your responsibilities. These are other manuals in the Splunk core documentation set:
- Knowledge Manager. This manual describes how to manage Splunk knowledge objects, such as event types, tags, lookups, field extractions, workflow actions, saved searches, and views.
- User. This manual provides an introduction to using Splunk, including a tutorial and introductory material on some Splunk adminstration activities, such as getting data into Splunk.
- Search Reference. This reference contains a detailed catalog of the Splunk search commands.
- Developer. This manual explains how to develop apps and add-ons, including advanced information on how to build dashboards and advanced views.
- REST API Reference. This manual provides information on all publicly accessible REST API endpoints.
- Release Notes. Look here for information about new features, known issues, and fixed problems.
The larger world of Splunk documentation
To access all the Splunk documentation, including app-specific manuals, go to this page: Welcome to Splunk documentation.
For links to the full set of Splunk core documentation, including the manuals listed above, visit: Splunk core documentation.
Make a PDF
If you'd like a PDF version of this manual, click the red Download the Admin Manual as PDF link below the table of contents on the left side of this page. A PDF version of the manual is generated on the fly. You can save it or print it to read later.
What is Splunk?