Integrate a universal forwarder onto a system image
This topic discusses the procedure to integrate a Splunk universal forwarder into a Windows system image. For additional information about integrating Splunk Enterprise into images, see Integrate Splunk Enterprise into system images.
- On a reference computer, install and configure Windows the way that you want, including installing Windows features, service packs, and other components.
- Install and configure necessary applications, taking into account Splunk's system and hardware capacity requirements.
- Install and configure the universal forwarder from the command line. You must supply at least the
LAUNCHSPLUNK=0command line flag when you perform the installation.
- Proceed through the graphical portion of the install, selecting the inputs, deployment servers, and/or forwarder destinations you need.
- Once you have completed the install, open a command prompt or PowerShell window.
- From this prompt, edit any additional configuration files that are not configurable in the installer.
- After you edit configuration files, from the prompt, change to the universal forwarder
- Close the command prompt or PowerShell window.
- In the Services Control Panel, configure the
splunkdservice to start automatically by setting its startup type to 'Automatic'.
- Prepare the system image for domain participation using a utility such as Windows System Image Manager (WSIM). Microsoft recommends using SYSPREP or WSIM as the method to change machine Security Identifiers (SIDs) prior to cloning, as opposed to using third-party tools (such as Ghost Walker or NTSID.)
- After you have configured the system for imaging, reboot the machine and clone it with your favorite imaging utility.
The image is now ready for deployment.
Put Splunk onto system images
Integrate full Splunk onto a system image
This documentation applies to the following versions of Splunk® Enterprise: 6.4.0, 6.4.1, 6.4.2, 6.4.3, 6.4.4, 6.4.5, 6.4.6, 6.4.7, 6.4.8, 6.5.0, 6.5.1, 6.5.1612 (Splunk Cloud only), 6.5.2, 6.5.3, 6.5.4, 6.6.0, 6.6.1