Integrate full Splunk onto a system image
This topic discusses the procedure to integrate a full version of Splunk into a Windows system image. For additional information about integrating Splunk into images, see "Put Splunk onto system images" in this manual.
To integrate a full version of Splunk into a system image:
1. Using a reference computer, install and configure Windows to your liking, including installing any needed Windows features, patches and other components.
2. Install and configure any necessary applications, taking into account Splunk's system and hardware capacity requirements.
3. Install and configure Splunk.
Important: You can install using the GUI installer, but more options are available when installing the package from the command line.
4. Once you have configured Splunk inputs, open a command prompt.
5. From this prompt, stop Splunk by changing to the
%SPLUNK_HOME%\bin directory and issuing a
6. Clean any event data by issuing a
.\splunk clean eventdata.
7. Close the command prompt window.
8. Ensure that the
splunkweb services are set to start automatically by setting their startup type to 'Automatic' in the Services Control Panel.
9. Prepare the system image for domain participation using a utility such as SYSPREP (for Windows XP and Windows Server 2003/2003 R2) and/or Windows System Image Manager (WSIM) (for Windows Vista, Windows 7, and Windows Server 2008/2008 R2).
Note: Microsoft recommends using SYSPREP and WSIM as the method to change machine Security Identifiers (SIDs) prior to cloning, as opposed to using third-party tools (such as Ghost Walker or NTSID.)
10. Once you have configured the system for imaging, reboot the machine and clone it with your favorite imaging utility.
The image is now ready for deployment.
Integrate a universal forwarder onto a system image
Launch Splunk Web
This documentation applies to the following versions of Splunk® Enterprise: 6.2.0, 6.2.1, 6.2.2, 6.2.3, 6.2.4, 6.2.5, 6.2.6, 6.2.7, 6.2.8, 6.2.9, 6.2.10, 6.2.11, 6.2.12, 6.2.13, 6.3.0, 6.3.1, 6.3.2, 6.3.3, 6.3.4, 6.3.5, 6.3.6, 6.3.7, 6.3.8, 6.3.9, 6.3.10, 6.3.11, 6.3.12, 6.4.0, 6.4.1, 6.4.2, 6.4.3, 6.4.4, 6.4.5, 6.4.6, 6.4.7, 6.4.8, 6.4.9, 6.5.0, 6.5.1, 6.5.1612 (Splunk Cloud only), 6.5.2, 6.5.3, 6.5.4, 6.5.5, 6.5.6, 6.6.0, 6.6.1, 6.6.2, 6.6.3, 6.6.4, 7.0.0, 7.0.1