Configure dashboard permissions
Learn how to manage dashboard and panel search permissions.
Managing dashboard permissions
A dashboard is a knowledge object. Depending on your user role and capabilities, you might have different options for configuring dashboard permissions.
User role options
If you have the
user role and its default capabilities, you can do the following.
- Create dashboards that are private to you.
- Provide other users with read and write access to the dashboard.
Admin role options
If you have the
admin role and its default capabilties, you can do the following.
- Create dashboards that are private, visible in a specific app context, or visible in all apps.
- Provide other users and roles with read and write access to the dashboard.
Managing panel search permissions
The search driving a dashboard panel is a separate knowledge object from the dashboard. The search has its own configureable permissions.
Panel search permissions
A panel search can run using the permissions of the user who created the search (the search owner), or a user who views the dashboard (a search user). The search user context can impact results and what different users see in a dashboard panel.
Depending on the results data access that you want to provide, you can adjust the permissions context for the search in the Reports listing page. Locate the search on this page and select Edit > Edit Permissions to change whether the search runs with the owner or user context.
For additional information on setting up permissions for dashboards and other knowledge objects see Manage knowledge object permissions in the Knowledge Manager manual.
Specify permissions for a new dashboard
When you create a new dashboard from the Search or Dashboard pages, you can configure permissions. Choose one of the following options.
|Private||Only you have permission to view and edit the dashboard. The dashboard is not visible to other users.|
|Shared in app||The dashboard is available to other users in the app context where it was created. For example, if you create the dashboard in the Search and Reporting app, the dashboard is visible to other users in this context. Depending on their permissions, other users can edit the dashboard.|
Update dashboard permissions
After creating a dashboard you can change the permissions.
- Navigate to the Dashboards page.
- Locate the dashboard whose permissions you are updating.
- Under Actions, select Edit > Edit Permissions
- Depending on your role and capabilities, specify the following details.
- Display for
- Choose Owner to make the dashboard private. Select App to share the dashboard in the current app context or share the dashboard in All apps on the Splunk platform instance.
- Read and write permissions
- Configure read (viewing) and writing (editing) privileges for other system users and/or roles.
Generate dashboard PDFs
Clone and manage dashboards
This documentation applies to the following versions of Splunk® Enterprise: 6.5.0, 6.5.1, 6.5.1612 (Splunk Cloud only), 6.5.2, 6.5.3, 6.5.4, 6.5.5, 6.6.0, 6.6.1, 6.6.2, 6.6.3