Create new dashboards or edit existing ones.
The dashboard and form workflow
Working with dashboards includes one or more of the following tasks.
- Create a new dashboard
- Add new visualizations to a dashboard
- Add a panel to a dashboard
- Edit dashboard panels and panel visualizations
- Manage dashboard searches
Convert a dashboard to a form
- Add user inputs to a dashboard to convert it to a form
- Edit forms
- Work with user input settings
Customize Simple XML
- Edit Simple XML source code to customize a dashboard or form.
Add interactive and dynamic behavior
- Use tokens to capture and transfer data.
- Add event handlers to implement dynamic behavior.
Tools and frameworks
To build and edit dashboards, use one or more of the following tools and frameworks.
Dashboard editor user interface
Build and edit dashboards using the Splunk Web user interface.
Dashboards use Simple XML source code to define their content and behavior. You can use the dashboard editor in Splunk Web to edit this source code.
To learn more, see Editing Simple XML.
Splunk Enterprise users can implement additional dashboard customizations.
For more information, see the following Splunk developer portal resources.
- Convert Simple XML dashboards to HTML
- Modify dashboards using Simple XML
- About SplunkJS stack
- Web Framework overview
Note: Dashboards converted to HTML have some editing limitations in Splunk Web. They also cannot be exported to PDF.
Use case scenario
You can follow the Create a failed login dashboard scenario to learn about implementing an interactive dashboard.
The Dashboard Examples app on Splunkbase provides many dashboard implementation examples, including source code. Install the app to view and interact with the example dashboards.
The following dashboard framework options are deprecated as of version 6.3.0.
|Option||For more information see|
|Advanced XML||Advanced XML deprecation|
|Module System (Deprecated as part of Advanced XML).||Advanced XML deprecation|
|Django Bindings||Django Bindings Deprecation Notice|
Use trellis layout to split visualizations
About the dashboard editor
This documentation applies to the following versions of Splunk® Enterprise: 6.5.0, 6.5.1, 6.5.1612 (Splunk Cloud only), 6.5.2, 6.5.3, 6.5.4, 6.5.5, 6.6.0, 6.6.1, 6.6.2, 6.6.3