Create a new data model
This topic shows you how to create new data models based on the tutorial data. Data models are created within Pivot and you need to have the admin or power role to create a data model.
Enable roles to create a data model
By default only users with the admin or power role can create data models. For other users, the ability to create a data model is tied to whether their roles have "write" access to an app. Since this tutorial uses a trial installation, you have admin privileges by default and should be able to continue.
If you are not able to create or edit a data model, you may need to check your permissions. For more information, read About data model permissions in the Knowledge Manager Manual.
- In the Splunk bar, click Settings.
- Under Knowledge, click Data Models.
This takes you to the Data Models management page. The Data Models management page lists any data models you have defined. Use this page to manage the permissions, acceleration, cloning, and removal of existing data models. You can also use this page to upload a data model or create new data models, using the Upload Data Model and New Data Model buttons on the top right.
Create a new data model
- In the Data Models management page, click New Data Model.
This opens the New Data Model dialog box.
- Enter the Title, "Buttercup Games" The Title field accepts any character, as well as spaces. The value you enter here is what appears on the data model listing pages.
- (Optional) Enter the ID, "Tutorial" If you don't change the ID, it automatically reads "Buttercup_Games". The ID must be a unique identifier for the data model. It cannot contain spaces or any characters that aren't alphanumeric, underscores, or hyphens (a-z, A-Z, 0-9, _, or -). Spaces between characters are also not allowed. Once you define the data model ID, you can't change it.
- Next to App, select "Search & Reporting" from the menu.
- (Optional) Enter the Description, "Enables data analysis and reporting for tutorial data."
- Click Create. This opens the Buttercup Games Edit Datasets page. Use this page to create datasets for the new data model, define their constraints and fields, arrange the datasets in logical hierarchies, and manage them.
Note: There was a terminology change in 6.5.0 from "objects" to "datasets". For more information about data model datasets, see About data models datasets.
Continue to the next topic to add a root dataset to the Buttercup Games data model.
About data models and data model datasets
Define a root dataset for the data model
This documentation applies to the following versions of Splunk® Enterprise: 6.5.0, 6.5.1, 6.5.1612 (Splunk Cloud only), 6.5.2, 6.5.3, 6.5.4, 6.5.5, 6.5.6, 6.5.7, 6.5.8, 6.5.9, 6.6.0, 6.6.1, 6.6.2, 6.6.3, 6.6.4, 6.6.5, 6.6.6, 6.6.7, 6.6.8