Configure a license slave
This topic discusses configuring a Splunk Enterprise instance as a license slave. Before you proceed, you may want to review these topics:
- Read How Splunk licensing works in this manual for an introduction to Splunk licensing.
- Read Allocate license volume for general information about allocating license volume across Splunk Enterprise instances.
- Read Configure a license master in this manual for instructions on setting up a license master.
Configure the instance as a license slave
1. On the instance that you want to configure as a license slave, log into Splunk Web and navigate to Settings > Licensing.
2. Click Change to Slave.
3. Switch the radio button from Designate this Splunk instance as the master license server to Designate a different Splunk instance as the master license server.
4. Specify the license master to which this license slave should report. You must provide either an IP address or a hostname and the Splunk management port, which is 8089 by default.
5. Click Save.
6. Restart Splunk Enterprise.
Revert to a standalone license on this instance
To switch to a standalone license, where the license is installed locally and is valid only for this instance, navigate to Settings > Licensing and click Switch to local master. If this instance does not already have an Enterprise license installed, you must restart Splunk for this change to take effect.
Configure a license master
Create or edit a license pool
This documentation applies to the following versions of Splunk® Enterprise: 6.5.0, 6.5.1, 6.5.1612 (Splunk Cloud only), 6.5.2, 6.5.3, 6.5.4, 6.5.5, 6.5.6, 6.5.7, 6.5.8, 6.5.9, 6.6.0, 6.6.1, 6.6.2, 6.6.3, 6.6.4, 6.6.5, 6.6.6, 6.6.7, 6.6.8, 7.0.0, 7.0.1, 7.0.2, 7.0.3, 7.0.4, 7.1.0, 7.1.1, 7.1.2