Use the license usage report view
This topic is about using the license usage report view (LURV). To learn about the view, read the previous topic, About the Splunk Enterprise license usage report view.
Set up an alert
You can turn any of the LURV panels into an alert. For example, say you want to set up an alert for when license usage reaches 80% of the quota.
- Start at the Today's percentage of daily license usage quota used panel.
- Click "Open in search" at the bottom left of a panel.
| where '% used' > 80
- Select Save as > Alert and follow the alerting wizard.
Splunk Enterprise comes with several preconfigured alerts that you can enable. See Platform alerts in Monitoring Splunk Enterprise.
No results in "Last 30 days" tab
A lack of results in the panels of the Last 30 days view of the License Usage Report View indicates that the license master on which you are viewing this page cannot find events from its own
This typically has one of two causes:
- The license master is configured to forward its events to the indexers (read more about this best practice in the Distributed Search Manual) but it has not been configured to be a search head. This is easily remedied by adding all indexers to whom the license master is forwarding events as search peers.
- The license master is not reading (and therefore, indexing) events from its own
$SPLUNK_HOME/var/log/splunkdirectory. This can happen if the
[monitor://$SPLUNK_HOME/var/log/splunk]default data input is disabled for some reason.
You might also have a gap in your data if your license master is down at midnight.
Single-source type license limitations
An instance that has both a single-source type license and an Enterprise license does not always show accurate information.
About the Splunk Enterprise license usage report view
About the app key value store
This documentation applies to the following versions of Splunk® Enterprise: 6.3.0, 6.3.1, 6.3.2, 6.3.3, 6.3.4, 6.3.5, 6.3.6, 6.3.7, 6.3.8, 6.3.9, 6.3.10, 6.3.11, 6.3.12, 6.3.13, 6.4.0, 6.4.1, 6.4.2, 6.4.3, 6.4.4, 6.4.5, 6.4.6, 6.4.7, 6.4.8, 6.4.9, 6.4.10, 6.5.0, 6.5.1, 6.5.1612 (Splunk Cloud only), 6.5.2, 6.5.3, 6.5.4, 6.5.5, 6.5.6, 6.5.7, 6.5.8, 6.5.9, 6.6.0, 6.6.1, 6.6.2, 6.6.3, 6.6.4, 6.6.5, 6.6.6, 6.6.7, 6.6.8, 7.0.0, 7.0.1, 7.0.2, 7.0.3, 7.0.4, 7.1.0, 7.1.1