How to use this manual
This manual serves as a reference guide for the Splunk user who is looking for a catalog of the search commands with complete syntax, descriptions, and examples for usage.
Quick Reference Information
Each search command topic contains the following sections: Description, Syntax, Examples, and See also. Many of the command topics also have a Usage section.
- Describes what the command is used for. This section might include details about how to use the command. For more complex commands, there might be a separate Usage section.
- The syntax includes the complete syntax for each search command, and a description for each argument. Some commands have arguments that have a set of options that you can specify. Each of these sets of options follow the argument descriptions.
- Required arguments
- Displays the syntax and describes the required arguments.
- Optional arguments
- Displays the syntax and describes the optional arguments. Default values, if applicable, are also listed.
- Contains additional information about using the command.
- This section includes examples of how to use the command.
- See also
- This section contains links to all related or similar commands.
Command syntax conventions
The command arguments are presented in the syntax in the order in which the arguments are meant to be used.
Arguments are either Required or Optional and are listed alphabetically under their respective subheadings. For each argument, there are Syntax and Description sections. Additionally, there might be other sections, such as Default that provide information about the argument.
When referring to another manual in the set of Splunk documentation, the name of the manual appears in italic.
Understanding SPL syntax
Splunk Quick Reference Guide
This documentation applies to the following versions of Splunk Cloud™: 6.6.3, 7.0.0, 7.0.2, 7.0.3, 7.0.5