Efficiently returns transaction events that match a transaction type and contain specific text. If you have Splunk Cloud and want to define transaction types, file a Support ticket.
| searchtxn <transaction-name> [max_terms=<int>] [use_disjunct=<bool>] [eventsonly=<bool>] <search-string>
- Syntax: <transactiontype>
- Description: The name of the transaction type stanza that is defined in
- Syntax: <string>
- Description: Terms to search for within the transaction events.
- Syntax: eventsonly=<bool>
- Description: If true, retrieves only the relevant events but does not run "| transaction" command.
- Default: false
- Syntax: maxterms=<int>
- Description: Integer between 1-1000 which determines how many unique field values all fields can use. Using smaller values speeds up search, favoring more recent values.
- Default: 1000
- Syntax: use_disjunct=<bool>
- Description: Specifies if each term in <search-string> should be processed as if separated by an OR operator on the initial search.
- Default: true
searchtxn command is a generating command and should be the first command in the search. Generating commands use a leading pipe character.
The command works only for transactions bound together by particular field values, not by ordering or time constraints.
Suppose you have a
<transactiontype> stanza in the
transactiontypes.conf.in file called "email". The stanza contains the following settings.
- fields=qid, pid
- search=sourcetype=sendmail_syslog to=root
searchtxn command finds all of the events that match
From those results, all fields that contain a qid or pid located are used to further search for relevant transaction events. When no additional qid or pid values are found, the resulting search is run:
sourcetype="sendmail_syslog" ((qid=val1 pid=val1) OR (qid=valn pid=valm) | transaction name=email | search to=root
Find all email transactions to root from David Smith.
| searchtxn email to=root from="David Smith"
Have questions? Visit Splunk Answers and see what questions and answers the Splunk community has using the searchtxn command.
This documentation applies to the following versions of Splunk Cloud™: 6.5.0, 6.5.1, 6.6.0, 6.5.1612, 6.6.1, 6.6.3, 7.0.0