Splunk Quick Start Bundle for Infrastructure Monitoring
Splunk Quick Start Bundles are offerings you can purchase though Splunk Sales. Each bundle includes a Splunk Enterprise license, Splunk Education units, ticket(s) to .conf, and a fixed quantity of Splunk Professional Services work. Further, they can include recommendations for specific apps and add-ons you may wish to download and install.
If you have purchased the Splunk Quick Start Bundle for Infrastructure Monitoring, follow these instructions for a smooth deployment.
- Look for an email from Splunk Order Management. Review the license and components that you have purchased; refer to Components below. Contact your Splunk Sales Representative if your order email is inaccurate.
- Prepare your operating environment. Review the Compatibility section and ensure that your operating environment adheres to the specifications.
- Review the list of apps and add-ons that your Quick Start Bundle recommends installing.
- Contact your Splunk Sales Reprsentative to arrange a call with a Splunk Customer Success Manager (CSM).
- With the CSM, schedule a kick-off call and arrange for a remote deployment engagement with a Professional Services Engineer. Prepare any questions you might have for your Professional Services Engineer.
- Follow the advice of the CSM and prepare all information required for your remote deployment engagement.
- Attend your remote deployment engagement. Work with your Splunk Professional Services Engineer on your scheduled date(s).
- After the Professional Services Engineer has completed your deployment, review the additional sections in this documentation to learn more about your Quick Start Bundle. Direct any of your questions to Splunk Customer Support.
|Education units||.conf passes|
Your Splunk Enterprise term license includes Splunk Customer Support.
The Splunk Quick Start Bundle for Infrastructure Monitoring is compatible with the following Splunk products.
|Splunk Enterprise||6.5.x or later
Single-instance deployment only
|Splunk Cloud||not compatible|
The Splunk App for VMware and Splunk Add-on for VMware are compatible only with Linux and Mac OSX operating systems.
Professional Services remote deployment engagement
This Quick Start Bundle includes the services of a Splunk Professional Services Engineer and Customer Success Manager. They work with you to complete the following tasks:
- Conduct a remote deployment engagement kick-off call.
- Conduct an architecture planning session.
- Install and configure your single instance of Splunk Enterprise.
- Deploy up to eight apps and add-ons and set up rsyslog.
- Validate that your instance is collecting data properly.
- Time permitting, offer insight in exploring your data.
- Conduct a follow-up call (CSM only).
Consult your quote for more details about your Splunk Professional Services engagement.
Redeem Splunk Education units
Following your order confirmation, you will receive an email from Splunk which includes a PDF attachment titled “Elearning agreement”. This document provides you with the instructions for redeeming your Education Units.
Obtain .conf passes
Contact your Splunk Sales Representative or the Splunk reseller from whom you purchased the bundle to obtain the .conf passes included with your bundle.
Download, install and configure apps and add-ons
The license that this bundle includes enables you to use several Splunk apps and add-ons. Following the advice of your Professional Services Engineer during your remote deployment engagement, install and configure the apps and add-ons individually.
1. From Splunkbase, download as many of the following apps and add-ons as you like:
- Splunk Add-on Builder
- Splunk Add-on for Amazon Web Services
- Splunk App for AWS
- Splunk Add-on for Microsoft Active Directory
- Splunk Add-on for Microsoft Windows DNS
- Splunk Add-On for Unix and Linux
- Splunk Add-on for VMware (not compatible with Microsoft Windows)
- Splunk App for VMware (not compatible with Microsoft Windows)
- Splunk Add-on for Windows
- Splunk App for Windows Infrastructure
Alternatively, you can browse and install apps and add-ons from within your instance of Splunk Enterprise. See Where to get more apps and add-ons in the Admin Manual.
2. Install each app and add-on individually on your instance of Splunk Enterprise.
|App or add-on||Installation instructions||Notes|
|Splunk Add-on Builder||Install the Add-on Builder|
|Splunk Add-on for Amazon Web Services|
|Splunk App for AWS||Install the Splunk App for AWS on Splunk Enterprise|
|Splunk Add-on for Microsoft Active Directory||Install the Splunk Add-on for Microsoft Active Directory|
|Splunk Add-on for Microsoft Windows DNS||Install the Splunk Add-on for Windows DNS|
|Splunk Add-On for Unix and Linux||Install the Splunk Add-on for Unix and Linux|
|Splunk Add-on for VMware|
|Splunk App for VMware||After you install the app, you see a message that reads, "You are trying to modify a page that you do not have access to, please contact your Splunk administrator for more assistance." Restart your Splunk Enterprise instance to clear this message.|
|Splunk Add-on for Windows||Install the Splunk Add-on for Windows|
|Splunk App for Windows Infrastructure|
3. Follow the configuration instructions for each app and add-on to set up each product individually and start getting data in to your Splunk Enterprise instance.
|App or add-on||Configuration instructions|
|Splunk Add-on Builder||Not required.|
|Splunk Add-on for Amazon Web Services||Important: If you have installed both the app and add-on for AWS, configure only the app. To configure both the app and add-on causes a conflict.|
|Splunk App for AWS||Plan your deployment of the Splunk App for AWS.|
|Splunk Add-on for Microsoft Active Directory||Configure the Splunk Add-on for Microsoft Active Directory|
|Splunk Add-on for Microsoft Windows DNS||Configure the Splunk Add-on for Windows DNS|
|Splunk Add-On for Unix and Linux||Enable data and scripted inputs|
|Splunk Add-on for VMware||Configure the Splunk Add-on for VMware|
|Splunk App for VMware|
|Splunk Add-on for Windows||Configure the Splunk App for Windows|
|Splunk App for Windows Infrastructure||Configure the Splunk App for Windows Infrastructure|
Contact Splunk Customer Support
Following your order confirmation, you will receive an email from Splunk which includes a PDF attachment titled “Welcome to Splunk Enterprise Support”. This document provides you with the instructions for contacting Splunk Customer Support if you need help after your remote deployment engagement.
Splunk Quick Start Bundle for Application Management
This documentation applies to the following versions of Splunk® Quick Start Bundles: 1.0.0