Know your environment
We want you to be happy installing and using this product, so we have created some key assumptions to make your life easier (and ours too!).
If you can answer all of the following questions, then you are off to a good start as you have most of the information you need to get up and running.
If you can't answer the questions, or you only have some of the answers, it typically means that you need to have further conversations with people who can give you the answers and you need to further explore your environment.
As a Solutions Administrator you need access to each of the WebSphere boxes and you must be authenticated to open an application node and a port, and you must have permission to install the software on the box.
We assume that:
- You are familiar with Splunk.
- You have downloaded, installed, and configured Splunk as an indexer.
- You have opened a port on which Splunk receives data.
- You have the authority to install software (Splunk forwarder) in your WAS environment (specifically on a WAS box from which you want to collect data).
- The user role that Splunk is running as has permissions to read the WAS folders.
- You have the credentials you need (username/password) to access all of the WAS boxes that will be configured as part of the Solution.
- For each WebSphere App "box", you know the port on which to send data.