In depth: Community portal for the Splunk CoE
About establishing a community portal
A Splunk community portal is a great way to keep your community engaged and informed. A community portal serves several purposes:
Guidelines for establishing a community portal
A community portal is a shared resource where users can get an overview of activities the Splunk community is engaged in, and resources they need to be successful with Splunk. There is no prescribed layout for a community portal. Design the community portal in the way that works best for your users on a platform they use regularly. Your community portal can feature Splunk resources, updates, announcements, key processes, user questions and answers, and contact information for submitting requests or feedback.
Start by identifying the needs of your users, then design and create a draft of your portal:
Identify the needs of your users
- Who are my stakeholders?
- Identify the Splunk user roles in your environment. Refer to the Staffing Model in your CoE Operating Model and CoE Roles and Responsibilities.
- What kind of content do they need to see?
- Consider what they need to know. For example, an executive sponsor and program manager may want to see a program status, and an expert user or knowledge manager may want to see discussions about how to model data from certain data sources.
- What collaboration medium or application is best?
- Platforms used by thriving Splunk communities include Jive Interactive Intranet, Microsoft Sharepoint, and Confluence. Some organizations start out with a central file repository before choosing a platform.
Splunk resources section
Your community portal should include a Splunk resources section with user roles and relevant content for each user type. The example below shows a matrix of relevant content sorted by user role.
- Once your portal is designed, try it out on some users to make sure your portal is meeting their needs.
- Assign a team to add fresh content and monitor any questions posted to the forum.
- Create a maintenance schedule for your community portal.
- For inspiration, see the Splunk Community.
In depth: Communication plan for the Splunk CoE
In depth: Configuration backups for the Splunk CoE
This documentation applies to the following versions of Splunk® Center of Excellence: current