Splunk DB Connect tests and supports connection to these databases:
- Microsoft SQL Server
- See Add a database to enable the Microsoft driver
- Oracle Database
- Sybase, Adaptive Server Enterprise version 15.7 Developer's Edition
You can also connect to these unsupported databases:
- Generic ODBC support
Provide the necessary JDBC drivers to add your own database types.
Supported Splunk versions
The Splunk DB Connect app runs on Splunk 4.3 and later.
- Splunk DB Connect has not been tested and is not supported with Splunk Free.
- Splunk DB Connect is not currently certified or supported in clustered environments.
- Splunk DB Connect is not compatible with Splunk servers configured for FIPS compliance.
Supported operating systems
Splunk DB Connect runs on supported Splunk versions on the following operating systems:
- Mac OS X
- Windows Server 2003/2008/2008R2
- Windows XP/7 (for development/testing)
Java Runtime Environment (JRE)
Before deploying Splunk DB Connect, install the Java Runtime Environment (JRE) from Oracle Java SE Downloads.
- Supported versions: DB Connect 1.1.x requires Java 1.6 or 1.7 only. DB Connect 1.2 requires Java 8 only. DB Connect 2.0 requires Java 8 only.
- Do not use a hotspot (client mode only) JVM.
- Note: Only the Oracle JRE is certified and supported for use with Splunk DB Connect. Customers have reported problems when starting the Java Bridge Server under alternate JREs or JDKs such as OpenJDK or IBM Java. You can download the Oracle JRE and JDK packages from http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/index.html.
Splunk Licenses and DB Connect
If you configure DB Connect to output data from a connected database into a Splunk index, the amount of data indexed does count towards your Splunk license. However, performing database lookups against a connected database in DB Connect does not count towards the license.
For more information about Splunk licenses, see "How Splunk licensing works."
Splunk DB Connect Release Notes
For the latest known issues and fixed problems in Splunk DB Connect, see Release Notes.
How to get help and learn more about Splunk
Architecture and performance
This documentation applies to the following versions of Splunk® DB Connect: 1.1, 1.1.1, 1.1.2, 1.1.3, 1.1.4, 1.1.5, 1.1.6, 1.1.7, 1.2.0