Download and install Splunk Hadoop Connect
1. Download the app from Splunkbase.
2. Install the app onto a *nix Splunk instance.
3. Install additional software that supports the app, such as Hadoop CLI, onto the same instance.
4. Configure the app, as described in "Configure Splunk Hadoop Connect" in this manual.
You cannot install Splunk Hadoop Connect on a Windows Splunk instance.
Watch our installation and configuration video instructions. See "Splunk Hadoop Connect - Install and configure" on the main Splunk web site.
Download the app
1. Go to the Splunk Hadoop Connect page on Splunkbase.
2. Click the Download link to download the app.
3. Click Save and save the file to your computer.
Install the app
You have several options available when you install Splunk Hadoop Connect:
- Install the app on a full Splunk instance that you can then configure as a forwarder.
- Install the app on an existing heavy forwarder.
You cannot install Splunk Hadoop Connect on a universal forwarder, because the app requires Python to run.
Install the app on a full Splunk instance
1. Log into the Splunk instance on which you wish to install Splunk Hadoop Connect.
2. From within Splunk Web, Click App > Manage apps... in the Splunk system navigation bar.
3. In the Apps page of Manager, click Install app from file.
4. In the Upload an app page, click Browse... to browse to the local location where you saved the file.
5. Click Upload.
6. When prompted, restart the Splunk platform.
Install the app on a forwarder
You can install Splunk Hadoop Connect on a heavy forwarder.
To install the app on a heavy forwarder, follow the instructions on how to install the app on a full Splunk instance as described earlier in this topic. Then, configure the forwarder to send the Hadoop data to the indexer.
For information on how to configure a heavy forwarder, see "Set up forwarding" in Forwarding Data.
Install supporting software
After you install Splunk Hadoop Connect, install additional software onto the same Splunk instance.
1. From a shell prompt, confirm that the machine has Java Development Kit (JDK) version 6u31 or later installed. If it does not, download and install the JDK.
2. From a shell prompt, download and install Hadoop CLI utilities, as described in "Install Hadoop CLI" in this manual.
3. Log back into your Splunk instance and continue with configuration of the app.
Install Hadoop CLI
This documentation applies to the following versions of Splunk® Hadoop Connect: 1.0, 1.1, 1.2, 1.2.1, 1.2.2, 1.2.3, 1.2.4, 1.2.5