Create teams in ITSI
Create teams if you want to group services by department, organization, or type of service and control access to the services. Only users with the itoa_admin role can create a team. After teams have been created, you can assign services to the appropriate teams.
You do not need to create any teams if you do not need to administer services separately in your organization. In this case, all services belong to the default Global team. See ITSI service-level permissions before creating any teams.
Before you create a team, you must create the team admin role that will administer the team so that you can assign permissions to the role when creating the team. See Create roles to administer your teams for information.
- Click Configure > Teams.
If you do not see this menu item, you do not have permission to configure teams.
- The Global team (default team) and any other teams that have been created are listed on the Teams page.
- Click Create New Team. The Create Team dialog opens.
- Type a team name and description.
Duplicate team names are allowed, but be aware of other team names and use naming conventions to avoid confusion.
- Assign read or write access to the listed itoa roles as appropriate. The itoa_admin role has read/write permissions by default and these permissions cannot be changed. If a role has write permissions for a team, a user with this role can create and modify services in the team. The user can't delete a service in the team unless the role has the delete capability for a service.
If you do not see the custom team admin role listed for which you want to assign permissions, make sure the role has been created and inherits from the itoa_team_admin role. If you are logged in using the itoa_admin role, rather than the admin role, also make sure that the itoa_admin role inherits from the custom team admin role and any other custom roles you have created.
When you create a service, you specify the team it belongs to. You can assign existing services to teams on the Services viewer.
To see the services that belong to a team or to review or change the team permissions, click the team name in the Teams lister page.
To delete a team, locate the team in the Teams lister page and click Edit > Delete in the Actions menu. If the team contains services, you are prompted to move the services to another team before the team can be deleted. The Global team cannot be deleted.
The following video gives a demo of creating a team and assigning services to the team:
Move a service to another team
You must have write permissions for both teams to move a service from one team to another.
To move a service from one team to another:
- On the Teams lister page, click the name of the team that contains the service.
- Click the name of the service you want to move.
- Click the Settings tab and select the team to move it to in the Team dropdown.
- Click Save.
Alternatively, you can navigate to the Services lister page under Configure > Services and select Edit > Edit Team for the service you want to move.
To move more than one service at a time, go to the Services lister page and select the checkboxes next to the services you want to move. Click Bulk Actions > Edit Team and select the team to move the services to.
Moving a service from one team to another team breaks service dependencies if the service is dependent on another service that cannot be accessed from the new team. If a service is dependent on another service within the same team and one of the services is moved to another team, that dependency is broken. A service in a private team cannot have a dependency on a service in another private team.
Implement service-level permissions in ITSI
Overview of creating services in ITSI
This documentation applies to the following versions of Splunk® IT Service Intelligence: 4.0.0, 4.0.1, 4.0.2, 4.0.3, 4.0.4, 4.1.0, 4.1.1, 4.1.2, 4.1.5