Create a service template in ITSI
Service templates in IT Service Intelligence (ITSI) help you manage services in bulk. Any changes you make to a template are propagated to all linked services.
To create a service template, you must first create a service on which to base the service template. The entity rules, KPIs, KPI importance values, and KPI thresholds of the service are imported into the service template. The service you create the template from is linked to the template by default. After the template is created, you can link multiple services to it. A service can be linked to only one template.
Note that service templates are always created in the Global team, regardless of the team of the service that you use to generate the template.
- To create a service template, you must have the
write_itsi_base_service_templatecapability and have write access to the Global team. Users with the
itoa_adminrole have this capability by default.
Users with team admin roles (roles that inherit from the itoa_team_admin role) have a read-only view of the service templates lister page. Team admins cannot create or change service templates but they can create services for their teams using service templates.
- You must first create at least one service to generate a service template.
- From the ITSI top menu bar, click Configure > Service Templates.
- Click New Service Template.
- Select the service on which to base the template. The entity rules, KPIs, KPI importance values, and KPI thresholds of the service will be imported into the template. Additionally, the service you use to create the template will be linked to the template.
Services with a lock icon are already linked to a template. If you choose a service that is already linked to a template, it is unlinked it from its current template and linked to the new template you are creating.
- Type a name and description for the template and click Create.
The entity rules and KPIs from the service are imported into the template.
- Review the following tabs in the service template definition:
Content pack Description Entities View the entity rules that have been imported from the service.
Note that matching entities are not displayed in the service template. You can view matching entities at the bottom of the Entities tab in the service definition. For more information, see Add entity rules to a service in ITSI.
KPIs See the KPIs imported from the service. Any KPIs in the service that were based on an ad hoc search, metrics search, or data model are converted to a base search in both the service template and the service. For more information, see Add a KPI to a service in ITSI. Settings See the importance values for the KPIs that were imported from the service. For more information, see Set KPI importance values in ITSI. Linked services The service you used to create the template is listed as a linked service and that the sync status is Synced. For more information, see Link a service to a service template in ITSI.
- To make changes to the service template, see Update a service template in ITSI.
- To create a new service from a service template, see Create a single service in ITSI.
Manage services in bulk with service templates in ITSI
Create a service from a service template in ITSI
This documentation applies to the following versions of Splunk® IT Service Intelligence: 4.0.0, 4.0.1, 4.0.2, 4.0.3, 4.0.4, 4.1.0, 4.1.1, 4.1.2, 4.1.5, 4.2.0, 4.2.1, 4.2.2, 4.2.3, 4.3.0, 4.3.1, 4.4.0, 4.4.1, 4.4.2, 4.4.3, 4.4.4, 4.4.5
Feedback submitted, thanks!