Install IT Service Intelligence in a distributed or clustered environment
You can install ITSI in any distributed Splunk Enterprise environment. For more information on distributed Splunk Enterprise environments, see Distributed deployments in this manual.
The Splunk App for Infrastructure and the Splunk Add-on for Infrastructure are included in the ITSI installation package. See Integration with the Splunk App for Infrastructure.
Where to install IT Service Intelligence
|Splunk instance type||Supported||Required||Actions required / comments|
|Search heads||Yes||Yes||Install ITSI on all search heads as described in Install Splunk IT Service Intelligence. Search heads must be running Splunk Enterprise 7.1.x -7.3.x.|
|License master||Yes||Yes||Install |
|Heavy forwarders||Yes||No||ITSI does not contain a data collection component.|
|Universal forwarders||Yes||No||ITSI does not contain a data collection component.|
Distributed deployment feature compatibility
This table describes the compatibility of ITSI with Splunk distributed deployment features.
|Distributed deployment feature||Supported||Actions required / Comments|
|Search head clusters||Yes||Use the deployer to distribute ITSI to search head cluster members. Search heads must be running a compatible version of Splunk Enterprise. For detailed instructions, see detailed instructions below.|
|Indexer clusters||Yes||Use the configuration bundle method to replicate |
Install ITSI in a search head cluster environment
Splunk IT Service Intelligence (ITSI) has specific requirements and processes for implementing search head clustering.
- For an overview of search head clustering, see Search head clustering architecture in the Distributed Search Manual.
- For a complete list of search head clustering requirements, see System requirements and other deployment considerations for search head clusters in the Distributed Search Manual.
If you are installing ITSI on an existing search head cluster environment which might have other apps deployed already, all of the steps in this section apply. Be careful to not delete or remove any existing content in the
Splunk IT Service Intelligence supports installation on Linux-based search head clusters only. At this time, Windows search head clusters are not supported by ITSI.
Before installing ITSI in a search head cluster environment, verify that you have:
- One deployer
- The same version of Splunk on the deployer and search head cluster nodes
- The same app (not including ITSI) versions on the deployer and search head cluster nodes
- The backup of
etc/shcluster/appson the deployer before installing ITSI
- The backup of
etc/appsfrom one of search head cluster nodes
- The backup of the KV store from one of search head cluster nodes
To install ITSI on a search head cluster:
- Log in to splunk.com with your Splunk.com ID and download the latest Splunk IT Service Intelligence product.
- On the deployer, extract the ITSI installation package into
$SPLUNK_HOME/etc/shcluster/apps. For example:
tar -xvf splunk-it-service-intelligence_<latest_version>.spl -C $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/shcluster/apps
- Remove the
Splunk_TA_Infrastructuredirectory from the ITSI installation package, as it is installed on the indexers. See Configure indexers and license masters.
- Use the deployer to deploy ITSI to the cluster members. From the deployer, run this command:
splunk apply shcluster-bundle
Install required Java components
IT Service Intelligence requires Java 8 - 11 to run anomaly detection and notable event management features. You can install Java prior to or after installing ITSI.
Install Java on all search heads running ITSI. On RHEL and Ubuntu Linux, you can install the vendor packages:
java-1.8.0-openjdk on RHEL Linux and
openjdk-8-jdk on Ubuntu Linux. Alternatively, you can download and install the latest version of Oracle Java 8 - 11 (JRE or JDK).
JAVA_HOME environment variable is set correctly to the base of the Java installation, or the "java" executable (or "java.exe" in Windows) can be found using the
PATH environment variable, no additional action is required. This is typically the case if you install the vendor Java packages in Linux or OS X.
If you install Java to a custom location (for example, when you install Oracle Java from oracle.com) and neither
JAVA_HOME is set to the Java installation, you must set
$SPLUNK_HOME/etc/splunk-launch.conf. For example:
Configure indexers and license masters
The ITSI installation package places all ITSI directories in
$SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps. Perform the following steps to set up indexers and license masters.
$SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps/on all individual indexers in your environment.
SA-UserAccesson all license masters in your cluster. If a search head in your environment is also a license master, the license master components are installed when you install ITSI on the search heads.
Configure search heads and cluster members to forward data to indexers
In a search head cluster environment environment, configure search heads to forward data. ITSI runs KPI searches on search heads and by default stores data in the local
itsi_summary index. It is considered a best practice to forward data from search heads to indexers.
Migrate an existing search head to a search head cluster
An ITSI standalone search head or search head pool member cannot be added to a search head cluster. To migrate ITSI configurations to a search head cluster:
- Identify any custom configurations and modifications in the prior ITSI installation. Check to make sure there is no local copy of itsi_settings.conf that could conflict with the default one when you deploy ITSI to the cluster.
- Implement a new search head cluster.
- Deploy the latest version of IT Service Intelligence on the search head cluster.
- Review and migrate the customized configurations to the search head cluster deployer for replication to the cluster members.
- Shut down the old ITSI search head.
For more information, see the topic Migrate from a standalone search head to a search head cluster in the Splunk Enterprise Distributed Search Manual.
For assistance in planning a Splunk ITSI deployment migration, contact Splunk Professional Services.
Install Splunk IT Service Intelligence on a single instance
Configure indexes in ITSI
This documentation applies to the following versions of Splunk® IT Service Intelligence: 4.2.0, 4.2.1, 4.2.2, 4.2.3