Define a single entity in ITSI
This topic describes how to create a single entity in Splunk IT Service Intelligence (ITSI). An entity is an IT component that requires management to deliver an IT service. Each entity has specific attributes and relationships to other IT processes that uniquely identify it. For more information about entities, see Overview of entities in ITSI.
You must have the
itoa_admin role, or your role must have write access to the Global team, in order to create entities.
- In the ITSI top menu bar, click Configure > Entities.
- Select Create Entity > Create Single Entity.
- Configure the following fields to define your entity:
Field Description Name The name of the entity. Description (Optional) A brief description of the entity. Team All entities are created in the Global team. You can't modify this field. Aliases Field-value pairs that identify the entity. For example:
Info Fields Field-value pairs that associate specific attributes with the entity. For example:
Alias and info fields and values have the following restrictions:
- Unsupported characters in field names: single quotes ('), double quotes ("), $ (as first character), equal sign (=), period (.), and commas (,).
- Unsupported characters in field values: single quotes ('), double quotes ("), and $ (as first character).
- Click Create. The entity appears in the Entities lister page.
- (Optional) Click View Health to view detailed entity information, including the health status of associated services and KPIs.
Overview of entities in ITSI
Auto-detect entities using ITSI modules
This documentation applies to the following versions of Splunk® IT Service Intelligence: 4.2.0, 4.2.1, 4.2.2, 4.2.3, 4.3.0, 4.3.1, 4.4.0, 4.4.1, 4.4.2, 4.4.3, 4.4.4