About the Database Module
Splunk ITSI Database Module improves the service monitoring and diagnostic experience of the Splunk IT Service Intelligence app (ITSI) by:
- Offering a comprehensive monitoring environment for support analysts to discover and resolve problems in a monitored service's database tier.
- Displaying system health in regards to databases across an IT infrastructure.
- Providing common KPIs for multiple types of relational databases including Oracle Database and Microsoft SQL Server.
- Allowing users to deep dive into their systems to analyze database performance.
- Discovering and isolating database outages and bottlenecks.
- Identifying which database components (client, network, machine, database) are causing issues.
The Database Module is delivered as a bundled component of ITSI.
Database Module deployment requirements
The Database Module requires the following apps and add-ons:
- All of the ITSI deployment requirements. For more information, see Plan your ITSI deployment in the Administer Splunk IT Service Intelligence manual.
- Version 2.1.3 or later of the Splunk DB Connect 2 add-on or the Splunk DB Connect 3 add-on.
- Version 5.2.1 or later of the Splunk Add-on for Unix and Linux or version 4.8.2 or later of the Splunk Add-on for Microsoft Windows to collect host operating system metrics for the database server (e.g. CPU, Memory, Storage).
IT Service Intelligence 2.3.0 or later
|Add-on Name||Add-on Version||Supported Vendor Product||Supported Vendor Product Version|
|Splunk Add-on for Microsoft SQL Server||1.4.0 or later||Microsoft SQL Server||2008 R2 Enterprise, 2012 Enterprise, and 2014 Enterprise|
|Splunk Add-on for Oracle Database||3.7.0 or later||Oracle Database Server||Oracle Database Server 10g/11g/12c|
In ITSI 2.3.0 the Database Module data model was updated. The new data model is optimally designed to work with the ITSI Module for Databases base searches, which are also available in IT Service Intelligence 2.3.0 and later. The above tables show the compatibility for the required add-ons for use with the Database Module.
1. Upgrade ITSI from 2.2.X to 2.3 or above.
2. Upgrade add-on from 2.2.X supported version to 2.3+ supported version using the above table.
Learn more about the Database Module
- Learn more about Database Module integration with ITSI, in the ITSI key concepts and workflow overview section of this manual.
- Learn how the Database Module helps you discover and create host entities in the ITSI module entity creation and discovery section of this manual.
- ITSI module performance and sizing considerations.
- Troubleshoot the Database Module in this manual.
Application Server Module troubleshooting
Database Module configurations
This documentation applies to the following versions of Splunk® IT Service Intelligence: 4.2.0, 4.2.1, 4.2.2, 4.2.3, 4.3.0, 4.3.1, 4.4.0, 4.4.1