About Virtualization Module
The Virtualization Module for Splunk IT Service Intelligence lets ITSI users gain insight into their virtualized computing environment.
The Virtualization Module provides metrics on virtual machine information by providing a list of KPIs that correspond to one or both of the drilldown activity views we are creating: Application view and Virtualization view.
Version 2.5.0 of the ITSI Virtualization Module includes the following new features:
- The entity discovery search (defined in savedsearches.conf) process in the ITSI Virtualization Module has changed from using tstats with datamodel to using tags for performance improvements.
- Tag searches for entities has replaced datamodel searches.
index=*has been removed from all searches included in the Virtualization Module. The Splunk platform will search on default indexes specified for current user role without
index=*. If you want to include any customized indexes into your search, add the specific index into default indexes from Settings > Access Controls > Roles.
The Virtualization Module is compatible with ITSI versions 3.1.0 and later. The Virtualization Module has the same deployment requirements as ITSI. For more information, see Plan your ITSI deployment in the Administer Splunk IT Service Intelligence manual.
|Add-on Name||Add-on Version||Technology Name||Technology Version|
|Splunk Add-on for Microsoft Hyper-V||3.0.0 or later||Microsoft Hyper-V Server 2012 and Microsoft Server 2012 with Hyper-V||2012 R2 or later|
|Splunk Add-on for VMware||3.4.2 or later||VMware ESXi||5.1 and above|
Learn more about the Virtualization Module
- Learn more about Virtualization Module integration with ITSI, in the ITSI key concepts and workflow overview section of this manual.
- Learn how the Virtualization Module helps you discover and create host entities in the ITSI module entity creation and discovery section of this manual.
- ITSI module performance and sizing considerations.
- Troubleshoot the Virtualization Module in this manual.
Storage Module troubleshooting
Virtualization Module configurations
This documentation applies to the following versions of Splunk® IT Service Intelligence: 3.0.0, 3.0.1, 3.0.2, 3.1.0, 3.1.1, 3.1.2, 3.1.3, 3.1.4, 4.0.0, 4.0.1, 4.0.2, 4.0.3, 4.0.4, 4.1.0, 4.1.1, 4.1.2, 4.1.5, 4.2.0, 4.2.1, 4.2.2, 4.2.3, 4.3.0, 4.3.1, 4.4.0, 4.4.1