Create a service template in ITSI
To create a service template, you must first create a service on which to base the service template. The entity rules, KPIs, KPI importance values, and KPI thresholds of the service are imported into the service template. The service you create the template from is linked to the template by default. After the template is created, you can link multiple services to it. A service can be linked to only one template.
Note that service templates are always created in the Global team, regardless of the team of the service that you use to generate the template.
- To create a service template, you must have the
write_itsi_base_service_templatecapability and have write access to the Global team. Users with the
itoa_adminrole have this capability by default.
- You must first create at least one service to generate a template.
Users with team admin roles (roles that inherit from the itoa_team_admin role) have a read-only view of the Service Templates lister page. Team admins cannot create or change service templates but they can create services for their teams using service templates.
- Click Configure > Service Templates from the top menu bar.
- Click New Service Template.
- Select the service on which to base the template. The entity rules, KPIs, KPI importance values, and KPI thresholds of the service will be imported into the template. Additionally, the service you use to create the template will be linked to the template.
Services with a lock icon are already linked to a template. If you choose a service that is already linked to a template, it is unlinked it from its current template and linked to the new template you are creating.
- Type a name and description for the template and click Create.
The entity rules and KPIs from the service are imported into the template, then the service template definition page opens.
- Click the Entities tab to view the entity rules that have been imported from the service.
Note that matching entities are not displayed in the service template. You can view matching entities at the bottom of the Entities tab in the service definition.
- Click the KPIs tab to see the KPIs imported from the service. Any KPIs in the service that were based on an ad hoc search, metrics search, or data model are converted to a base search in both the service template and the service.
- Click the Settings tab to see the importance values for the KPIs that were imported from the service.
- In the Linked Services tab, note that the service you used to create the template is listed as a linked service and that the sync status is Synced.
Manage services in bulk with service templates in ITSI
Configure a service created from a service template in ITSI
This documentation applies to the following versions of Splunk® IT Service Intelligence: 4.0.0, 4.0.1, 4.0.2, 4.0.3, 4.0.4, 4.1.0, 4.1.1, 4.1.2, 4.1.5, 4.2.0, 4.2.1, 4.2.2, 4.2.3, 4.3.0, 4.3.1, 4.4.0, 4.4.1