Upgrade IT Service Intelligence in a search head cluster environment
After you deploy the new ITSI version to cluster members, you must also upgrade your indexers and ITSI license components.
- Before you upgrade ITSI, you must perform all prerequisite steps specified in Before you upgrade IT Service Intelligence.
- Ensure stable and optimal connectivity between the deployer and search head cluster members, such as minimal network latency, no dropped packets, and so on. Problems with network connectivity during an shcluster bundle push of a new version of ITSI may leave ITSI in an inconsistent state and require further steps to resolve.
- If upgrading to a Python 3 release of Splunk (version 8.x), you must upgrade IT Service Intelligence and all other apps before upgrading Splunk Enterprise. For more information, see Python 3 migration with ITSI.
Step 1: Confirm the cluster is in a healthy state
Confirm that the cluster is in a healthy state before you begin the upgrade:
splunk show shcluster-status
Check the following criteria:
- Locate the current search head captain and use it as the target when running the
splunk apply shcluster-bundlein step 4 of the next section.
- Make sure the search head cluster is fully functional and that there are no pending replication updates.
For information on health check criteria, see Health check output details.
Step 2. Deploy the new version to the cluster members
Use the deployer to distribute the new version of ITSI to search head cluster members, the same way you initially deployed ITSI on the search head cluster. A migration script runs on the captain after upgrading. The upgrade then propagates to all other cluster members.
- Log in to splunk.com with your Splunk.com ID.
- Download the latest Splunk IT Service Intelligence product. The ITSI installation package includes the
vmware_ta_itsiparent directory which contains components you need to deploy VMware data collection for SAI. If you don't want to deploy VMware data collection, remove the directory from the ITSI package before you upgrade your search head cluster. If you want to install the components in the
vmware_ta_itsiparent directory, see Install VMware data collection add-ons and dependencies in the Install and Upgrade Splunk App for Infrastructure guide.
- Untar the ITSI installation package into
$SPLUNK_HOME/etc/shcluster/apps/. For example:
tar -xvf splunk-it-service-intelligence_<latest_version>.spl -C $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/shcluster/apps/
On Windows, rename the file extension from .spl to .tgz first and use a third-party utility like 7-Zip to perform the extraction.
- Run the
splunk apply shcluster-bundlecommand on the deployer:
splunk apply shcluster-bundle -target <URI>:<management_port> -auth <username>:<password>
When you restart Splunk Enterprise after installing the new files, a migration script runs to migrate existing ITSI knowledge objects to the new version. To check migration related logs, run the following Splunk search:
index="_internal" source= "*itsi_upgrade.log*"
Step 3. Upgrade indexers
For non-clustered distributed environments, copy the
SA-IndexCreation file to
$SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps on each indexer in your deployment. If you want to collect VMware vCenter Server data with SAI, install the components in the
vmware_ta_itsi parent directory. For more information about what to install on the indexers, see Install VMware data collection add-ons and dependencies in the Install and Upgrade Splunk App for Infrastructure guide.
If you have an indexer cluster, use the configuration bundle method to replicate
SA-IndexCreation across all peer nodes. On the master node, place a copy of
$SPLUNK_HOME/etc/master-apps/. For information about updating peers in an indexer cluster, and for CLI instructions, see Manage app deployment across all peers in the Splunk Enterprise Managing Indexers and Clusters of Indexers manual.
Step 4. Upgrade ITSI license components
When you upgrade Splunk IT Service Intelligence, you must also upgrade
SA-UserAccess on any license master in a distributed or search head cluster environment.
If one of the search heads in your environment is also a license master, the license master components are upgraded when you upgrade ITSI on the search heads.
Note: Version 4.4.x has an additional requirement of copying
SA-ITOA to the license master and manually disabling all inputs in
inputs.conf. For instructions, see ITSI-4813 in the IT Service Intelligence Release Notes.
Upgrade IT Service Intelligence on a single instance
Version-specific upgrade notes for ITSI
This documentation applies to the following versions of Splunk® IT Service Intelligence: 4.4.0, 4.4.1, 4.4.2, 4.4.3, 4.4.4, 4.4.5