Schedule maintenance downtime in ITSI
Schedule maintenance downtime in IT Service Intelligence (ITSI) to prevent alerts from triggering from machines and other devices that are undergoing maintenance operations or don't require active monitoring. Defining maintenance windows for scheduled downtimes, such as during server or software upgrades, reduces unnecessary noise. For more information about maintenance windows and their impact on ITSI objects, see Overview of maintenance windows in ITSI.
For example, if your ticketing system experiences a failure and you start to receive a cascade of identical notable events, you can put the service monitoring the ticketing system into maintenance mode to stop ITSI from generating alerts until the issue is resolved.
Maintenance windows apply to services and entities. You can only see maintenance windows that contain at least one service or entity you have read access to. If you have only read permissions for the services or entities in a maintenance window, you can view the maintenance window but not edit it.
If you're bulk deleting maintenance windows, you can only delete the maintenance windows that contain services or entities for which you have write access.
Only users assigned the
write-maintenance_calendar capability as well as write access to the Global team can create a maintenance window. By default, the
itoa_team_admin roles have this capability.
- From the ITSI top menu bar, click Configuration > Maintenance Windows.
- Click Create Maintenance Window.
- Provide a title for the maintenance window. For example, "DB entity maintenance window."
- Set the start time, duration, and end time for the maintenance window.
- Select the Objects for which you want to create a maintenance window: Entities or Services.
If you don't have write access to the Global team, you can't put entities into maintenance mode.
- Click Next.
- Select the specific services or entities that you want to place in maintenance mode for the duration of the maintenance window. You can only select services or entities for which you have write access.
- Click Create. The selected entities or services enter maintenance mode according to the defined schedule.
Overview of maintenance windows in ITSI
Overview of backing up and restoring ITSI KV store data
This documentation applies to the following versions of Splunk® IT Service Intelligence: 4.5.0 Cloud only