Create a service template in ITSI
Service templates in IT Service Intelligence (ITSI) help you manage services in bulk. Any changes you make to a template are propagated to all linked services.
To create a service template, you must first create a service on which to base the service template. The entity rules, KPIs, KPI importance values, and KPI thresholds of the service are imported into the service template. The service you create the template from is linked to the template by default. After the template is created, you can link multiple services to it. A service can be linked to only one template.
Note that service templates are always created in the Global team, regardless of the team of the service that you use to generate the template.
- To create a service template, you must have the write_itsi_base_service_template capability and have write access to the Global team. Users with the itoa_admin role have this capability by default.
Users with team admin roles (roles that inherit from the itoa_team_admin role) have a read-only view of the service templates lister page. Team admins cannot create or change service templates but they can create services for their teams using service templates.
- To create a service template, you must create a single service and then generate a template from it. For an overview of creating services, see Overview of creating services in ITSI.
- From the ITSI top menu bar, click Configuration > Service Templates.
- Click New Service Template.
- Select the service on which to base the template. The entity rules, KPIs, KPI importance values, KPI thresholds, and service tags are imported into the template. Additionally, the service you use to create the template is linked to the template.
Services with a lock icon are already linked to a template. If you choose a service that is already linked to a template, it is unlinked it from its current template and linked to the new template you are creating.
- Type a name and description for the template and click Create.
The entity rules and KPIs from the service are imported into the template.
- Review the following tabs in the service template definition:
Content pack Description Entities View the entity rules that have been imported from the service.
Note that matching entities are not displayed in the service template. You can view matching entities at the bottom of the Entities tab in the service definition. For more information, see Add entity rules to a service in ITSI.
KPIs See the KPIs imported from the service. Any KPIs in the service that were based on an ad hoc search, metrics search, or data model are converted to a base search in both the service template and the service. For more information, see Create KPI base searches in ITSI. Settings See the importance values for the KPIs that were imported from the service. For more information, see Set KPI importance values in ITSI.
Add service tags to the template. All tags from the original service are added to the new template. Adding or removing tags doesn't unlink the service from the template. For more information, see Add tags to a service in ITSI.
Linked services The service you used to create the template is listed as a linked service and that the sync status is Synced. For more information, see Link and unlink services from a service template in ITSI.
- To make changes to the template, see Update a service template in ITSI.
- To create a new service from the template, see Create a service from a service template in ITSI.
- To link services to the template, see Link and unlink services from service templates in ITSI.
Overview of service templates in ITSI
Create a service from a service template in ITSI
This documentation applies to the following versions of Splunk® IT Service Intelligence: 4.5.0 Cloud only, 4.5.1 Cloud only, 4.6.0 Cloud only, 4.6.1 Cloud only, 4.6.2 Cloud only, 4.7.0, 4.7.1, 4.7.2, 4.8.0 Cloud only, 4.8.1 Cloud only, 4.9.0, 4.9.1, 4.9.2, 4.9.3, 4.10.0 Cloud only, 4.10.1 Cloud only, 4.10.2 Cloud only