Upgrade IT Service Intelligence on a single instance
This topic describes how to upgrade Splunk IT Service Intelligence (ITSI) on an on-premises search head. You must perform step upgrades for versions earlier than 4.6.x. ITSI supports upgrades from up to three versions prior to the one you're upgrading to. Splunk Cloud customers work with Splunk Support to coordinate upgrades to IT Service Intelligence.
Before you upgrade ITSI, you must perform all prerequisite steps specified in Before you upgrade IT Service Intelligence.
If upgrading to a Python 3 release of Splunk (version 8.x), you must upgrade IT Service Intelligence and all other apps before upgrading Splunk Enterprise. For more information, see Python 3 migration with ITSI.
Step 1. Install the latest version of ITSI
On a single-instance deployment, a single Splunk Enterprise instance serves as both the search head and indexer.
You must upgrade ITSI by extracting the ITSI installation package. ITSI does not support installation using the app manager in Splunk Web or using the
splunk install app command at the command line.
- Log in to splunk.com with your Splunk.com ID.
- Download the latest Splunk IT Service Intelligence product.
- If you're upgrading from a pre-4.6.0 ITSI version to version 4.6.0 or later, stop the Rules Engine before upgrading so it can pick up the fields added to the KV store for migration:
- Within Splunk Web, go to Settings > Searches, reports, and alerts.
- In the App dropdown, select All.
- Use the filter to locate the itsi_event_grouping search.
- Click Actions > Disable.
- Stop your Splunk platform instance:
cd $SPLUNK_HOME/bin ./splunk stop
- Extract the ITSI installation package into
$SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps. For example:
tar -xvf splunk-it-service-intelligence_<latest_version>.spl -C $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps
On Windows, rename the file extension from .spl to .tgz first and use a third-party utility like 7-Zip to perform the extraction.
- Start your Splunk software.
cd $SPLUNK_HOME/bin ./splunk start
- The first time you go to ITSI after installing the new files, a migration screen steps you through the upgrade process. For Skip over localized failures, choose whether to skip over the following types of failures:
- Missing dependencies in service KPIs, such as a missing macro
- Multiple entity split or filter fields in KPI base searches
- Missing dependencies in KPI base searches
- Missing dependencies in correlation searches
- Duplicate services
Skipping over these failures means the problematic objects aren't migrated. You'll receive a list of skipped objects when the upgrade completes.
- Click Start Upgrade. The migration script runs to migrate existing ITSI knowledge objects to the new version.
- When the upgrade completes, open the ITSI homepage.
- Re-enable the itsi_event_grouping search.
To check migration related logs, run the following Splunk search:
Step 2. Upgrade indexers
You must place the
SA-IndexCreation add-on on all indexers. For non-clustered distributed environments, copy
$SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps/ on individual indexers. Indexers must be running a compatible version of Splunk Enterprise. If you upgrade your indexers, verify whether you must also upgrade your search heads. For information, see Splunk Enterprise version compatibility.
If you have an indexer cluster, use the configuration bundle method to replicate
SA-IndexCreation across all peer nodes. On the master node, place a copy of
$SPLUNK_HOME/etc/master-apps/. For information about updating peers in an indexer cluster, see Manage app deployment across all peers in the Splunk Enterprise Managing Indexers and Clusters of Indexers manual.
Step 3. Upgrade ITSI license components
When you upgrade Splunk IT Service Intelligence, you must also upgrade
SA-UserAccess on any license master in a distributed or search head cluster environment.
If one of the search heads in your environment is also a license master, the license master components are upgraded when you upgrade ITSI on the search heads.
Note: If you are upgrading from ITE Work to ITSI and it is the first time that an ITSI license is detected in your environment, it may take up to 10 minutes for the upgrade to complete. If you are still not seeing premium features, restart Splunk.
Step 4. Validate the upgrade
The Splunk IT Service Intelligence upgrade process is now complete. Objects disabled during the upgrade process are automatically reenabled. The ITSI shows the following message:
IT Service Intelligence upgrade has completed successfully.
- In Splunk Web, click Help > About to verify that the upgrade was successful.
- Clear the browser cache of the browser you use to access Splunk Web. If you do not clear the browser cache, some pages might fail to load.
You can also check the installed version, latest version, and previous version by running the following search:
| rest splunk_server=local /services/apps/local/itsi | stats values(version) as itsi_installed_version | join [|inputlookup itsi_migration_check]
Perform the following steps after upgrading IT Service Intelligence.
- If there's a problem with the new version, see Troubleshoot an upgrade of IT Service Intelligence.
- If the upgrade fails, see Roll back an upgrade of ITSI.
- See the Version-specific upgrade notes for ITSI for the version you upgraded to.
Before you upgrade IT Service Intelligence
Upgrade IT Service Intelligence in a search head cluster environment
This documentation applies to the following versions of Splunk® IT Service Intelligence: 4.9.0, 4.9.1, 4.9.2, 4.9.3, 4.10.0 Cloud only, 4.10.1 Cloud only