Install and Configure the Content Pack for VMware Dashboards and Reports
Perform the following high-level steps to configure the Content Pack for VMware Dashboards and Reports:
- Install and Configure Splunk Add-on for VMware Metrics.
- Install the Content Pack.
- Enable the Data model acceleration.
- The ITSI or IT Essentials Work app is installed and configured in your environment.
- Use of a supported version of VMware vCenter Server to manage hypervisors - Content Pack for VMware Dashboards and Reports integrates with a vCenter Server and the hypervisors it manages. Environments with Windows-based vCenter and/or Linux-based vCenter Server Appliance are supported. ESXi servers that are not managed through vCenter are not supported.
Step 1: Install and Configure the Splunk Add-on for VMware Metrics
Content Pack for VMware Dashboards and Reports uses the data collected by Splunk Add-on for VMware Metrics. You can configure the Splunk Add-on for VMware Metrics by deploying it on the required components. You can also create the DCN machine by deploying Splunk OVA for VMware Metrics in the virtualization environment.
The table shows where to install which packages of the Splunk Add-on for VMware Metrics in your environment:
|Package||Component||Search head||Indexer||Scheduler||Data Collection Node (DCN)|
|Splunk Add-on for VMware Metrics||Splunk_TA_VMware_inframon||x||x|
*These packages aren't used in the Content Pack for VMware Dashboards and Reports.
Step 2: Install the content pack
The Splunk App for Content Packs includes the Content Pack for VMware Dashboards and Reports. The content pack contents are automatically installed and running once the Splunk App for Content Packs is installed on the search head where you installed ITSI or IT Essentials Work. Refer to the Splunk App for Content Packs installation instructions to install the Splunk App for content packs in your environment.
Step 3: Enable data model acceleration
The acceleration of the data models "VMwareInventory" is disabled by default. Enable acceleration for this data model to populate the data on dashboards packaged in the Content Pack. An admin can enable data acceleration or change the acceleration period. Complete the following steps on the search head to enable the acceleration of the VMwareInventory data model:
- In Splunk Web, go to Settings > Data Models.
- From the App list, select IT Essentials Work or IT Service Intelligence (itsi) to see the data models defined and used by the Content Pack for VMware Dashboards and Reports.
- Click Edit next to the data model you want to enable acceleration for and select Edit Acceleration.
- Check Accelerate.
- Select the summary range to specify the acceleration period. The default summary range is 1 month.
- Click Save.
Splunk Add-on for VMware Metrics collects limited performance metrics and inventory fields with the default configuration. There are additional available metrics and inventory fields that you have to enable to display data in all dashboard panels. Go to Configure Data Collection for Content Pack for VMware Dashboards and Reports for the dashboard metric list and inventory fields and steps to configure additional metrics and fields.
Release Notes for the Content Pack for VMware Dashboards and Reports
Configure Data Collection for Content Pack for VMware Dashboards and Reports
This documentation applies to the following versions of Splunk® Content Packs for ITSI and IT Essentials Work: current