Use the Metrics dashboard
The Metrics dashboard displays a variety of performance statistics for any number of hosts in various different customizable graphs.
The dashboard contains into two panels: The Host Filter panel, which allows you to type in a host name to see only its data or filter hosts by category and group, and the Metrics Viewer, which shows the metrics that the Splunk Add-on for Unix and Linux has collected over time in a circle-graph pattern.
Perform the following steps to open the Metrics dashboard:
- In Splunk Web, open ITSI.
- Go to Dashboards > Dashboards.
- Open Metrics - Unix dashboard (with the App name as DA-ITSI-CP-unix-dashboards).
Select hosts to view
The Host Filter panel allows you to select which host(s) you want to view. It contains a Filter text box and a list of all of the categories and groups you have created when you configured the Content Pack for Unix Dashboards and Reports.
If you haven't created any categories or groups, the Content Pack for Unix Dashboards and Reports populates this area with a special category called Default and a special group called All Hosts. Use the Settings page to create host categories and groups.
To choose hosts, perform the following steps:
- In the category list, scroll through the list of available hosts. Optionally, you type in the full or partial name of a host in the Filter text box and press Enter. The Content Pack For Unix Dashboards and Reports updates the category entries to show only those hosts that contain the text string you entered.
- Select the host(s) which you want to display metrics on. The Content Pack for Unix Dashboards and Reports updates the Metrics Viewer to show metrics for the selected host(s). You can also select groups and categories, by clicking on the name of a group or category, respectively. Clicking on a group selects all hosts in the group, and clicking on a category selects all groups (and all hosts) in the category.
To remove an existing host filter, click the X beside the filter text.
View performance metrics
The Metrics Viewer panel displays metrics on the hosts that you have selected in the Host Filter panel. If you have not selected any hosts, this panel is empty.
The Metric Viewer allows you to display various different performance metrics over various ranges of time. It also allows you to add color to your graphs in a way that is meaningful to you.
To change the data that the Metrics Viewer displays, perform the following steps:
- Select hosts in the Host Filter panel, if you have not already done so. No data will display in the Metrics Viewer if you haven't selected hosts.
- Set the time range for the graph using the time range menu.
- Select the kind of data you want to view from the data type menu. The Content Pack For Unix Dashboards and Reports updates the next three drop-down buttons to include metrics on the type of data you selected.
- Choose the performance metric you want to see by selecting the appropriate entries in the performance metric menus.
For example, if you chose the Memory data type and wanted to see maximum free memory by host, you would select:
- max in the first performance metric menu
- memFreeMB in the second menu
- host in the third menu
What the graphs mean
In these graphs, larger bubbles represent higher levels of metrics, while smaller bubbles represent lower levels of metrics.
Set the color in your graph bubbles
You can adjust the color of the graph bubbles to give them more meaning. Set a color range that is meaningful to you by moving the slider to the level you want.
To remove all customized graphs and return to the default Metrics Viewer screen, click Clear.
Use the Home dashboard
Use the Hosts dashboard
This documentation applies to the following versions of Splunk® Content Packs for ITSI and IT Essentials Work: current