System Requirements for Splunk Insights for Infrastructure
Do not install Splunk Insights for Infrastructure on a system that has Splunk Enterprise or Splunk Light installed.
Splunk Insights for Infrastructure system requirements are listed on this page.
For Splunk App for Infrastructure system requirements information, see Install and Administer the Splunk App for Infrastructure.
Recommended Installation Environment
- Up to 1,000 entities
- One (1) minute metric data collection intervals for Linux hosts; default configuration
- Up to six (6) log sources per host
- Stand-alone, single instance installation (required)
- Do not install on a system that already has Splunk Enterprise or Splunk Light installed.
The following are the minimum and recommended hardware requirements for running Splunk Insights for Infrastructure.
|Platform||Minimum supported hardware||Recommended hardware|
|Linux||1x1.4 GHz CPU, 1 GB RAM||2x six-core, 2+ GHz CPU, 12 GB RAM, Redundant Array of Independent Disks (RAID) 0 or 1+0, with a 64 bit OS installed.|
Operating System Support
Splunk Insights for Infrastructure supports the following computing platforms (operating system and architecture).
|Unix operating system||Architecture|
|Linux, 2.6 and later (Ubuntu)||x86 (64-bit)|
File System Support
Splunk Insights for Infrastructure supports the following file systems.
|Linux||ext2, ext3, ext4, btrfs, XFS, and NFS 3/4|
Splunk Insights for Infrastructure supports the following browsers.
Microsoft Windows platform is not currently supported for deployment or data collection.
MAC OS X Support
MAC OS X platform is not currently supported for deployment or data collection.
Linux Agent Installation Script Requirements
When installing the Linux Agent Installation Script, requirements needed from the system for installation, and what the collector installs on the server, are defined below.
Linux Agent Installation Script requirements
- Supported operating systems include: RHEL 6.2.6, RHEL 7.3.10, Centos 7, Debian 8, Ubuntu 16 deployed on-premises or on Amazon EC2.
- The operating system should have:
- wget and curl installed
- apt-get/yum access to the outside internet
- Agent based data collection is not yet available for AWS Linux AMIs. For AWS monitoring, see Configure AWS Data Collection in the Splunk Insights for Infrastructure User Guide.
Linux Agent Installation Script package
The Linux Agent Installation Script installs the following on the server, dependent on the operating system used.
- collectd package, which includes:
- RHEL 6/Centos 6: The script installs collectd-5.7 rpm packages from https://pkg.ci.collectd.org/rpm/collectd-5.7/epel-6-x86_64/
- RHEL 7/Centos7: The script installs collectd-5.8 from epel repository
- Ubuntu/Debian: The script installs collectd-5.7 from the apt source "deb http://pkg.ci.collectd.org/deb trusty collectd-5.7"
- Splunk's collectd plugin
- libcurl package (required by Splunk's collectd package)
- Splunk Universal Forwarder 7.1.0 for sending log data (if log collection is configured)
Port Settings when using a Firewall
If you are using a firewall, ensure the following ports are exposed via the firewall on the Splunk Insights for Infrastructure server. Use TCP incoming/outgoing for all ports.
- 8088 port to receive metric data from the agent
- 9997 port to receive log data from the universal forwarder
- 8000 port to access the Splunk Insights for Infrastructure user interface
- 8089 port to access Splunk Insights for Infrastructure REST API (advanced use cases only)
Share Performance Data for Splunk Insights for Infrastructure
Install Splunk Insights for Infrastructure using Linux
This documentation applies to the following versions of Splunk® Insights for Infrastructure: 1.0.0