Upgrade Splunk Insights for Infrastructure to Splunk Enterprise
Upgrade your Splunk Insights for Infrastructure to a licensed version of Splunk Enterprise.
Always backup your current instance of Splunk Insights for Infrastructure before starting the upgrade process.
Feature comparison with Splunk Enterprise
The following is a feature comparison to consider when upgrading, which defines the differences between Splunk Insights for Infrastructure and Splunk Enterprise.
|Features||Splunk Insights for Infrastructure||Splunk Enterprise|
|Deployment type||Single instance||Distrubuted deployments|
|Licensing type||Retention/per instance licensing||Volume based/share across environment|
|Number of users||Five (5) users maximum||Unlimited users|
|Authentication||Local only||AD, LDAP, Etc.|
|Available applications||Specific to use cases only||Free Splunkbase and Premium Apps (1000+)|
|Data integrations||Specific to application||Free Splunkbase and Premium Integrations (1000+)|
|Daily ingestion||Limited to single instance||Unlimited|
|Inputs||Splunk2Splunk (S2S), HTTP (HEC)||S2S, HEC, TCP, UDP, Custom Defined Inputs|
|Search and Reporting App||No||Yes|
|Data types||Logs and Metrics||Logs and Metrics|
|Developer tools||None||APIs, SDKs, SimpleXML|
Before you upgrade
Read this section before you upgrade Splunk Insights for Infrastructure to Splunk Enterprise to learn important information and tips about the upgrade process.
- Review the release notes, known issues, and system requirements for the version of Splunk Enterprise you are upgrading to.
- Back up your existing deployment of Splunk Insights for Infrastructure before you perform any upgrade.
- Downgrading from Splunk Enterprise to Splunk Insights for Infrastructure is not supported.
Upgrade to Splunk Enterprise
Upgrading Splunk Insights for Infrastrucure to Splunk Enterprise is easy. Download Splunk Enterprise, install over an existing instance of Splunk Insights for Infrastructure, and add an ingest license. Follow the steps below to upgrade to Splunk Enterprise.
- Backup your instance of Splunk Insights for Infrastructure.
- Download Splunk Enterprise that matches your current Splunk Version number of Splunk Insights for Infrastructure.
- In your Splunk Insights for Infrastructure instance, go to Settings > About to get the version number of your instance.
- From the command line, stop splunk. Enter
- Untar the Splunk Enterprise package over your existing
- Start splunk. Enter
- Add your Splunk Enterprise license. In the Splunk Insights for Infrastructure user interface, go to Menu > System > Licensing in the upper left of the screen.
- In the Current License section at the bottom of the dashboard, under Action, click Upload License. Follow the instructions to install, or upload, a new Ingest license.
- Restart Required. Click Restart Now. Splunk Insights for Infrastructure should refresh when it's done restarting.
- Log in and confirm the upgrade to Splunk Enterprise.
Upgrade to a new version of Splunk Insights for Infrastructure
Support for Splunk Insights for Infrastructure
This documentation applies to the following versions of Splunk® Insights for Infrastructure: 1.3.0, 1.3.1, 1.4.0