Correct the user selected during Windows installation
If you have selected "other user" during the Windows GUI installation, and that user does not exist or perhaps you mistyped the information, you can go into the Windows Service Control Manager and specify the correct information, as long as you have not started Splunk yet.
If you specified an invalid user during the Windows GUI installation process, you will see two popup error windows.
To change the user:
1. In Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services, find the
SplunkWeb services. You'll notice that they are not started and are currently owned by the Local System User.
2. Right click on each service and choose Properties. The properties dialog for that service is displayed.
3. Select the Log On tab.
4. Select the This account radio button and fill in the correct domain\username and password.
5. Click Apply.
6. Click OK.
6. Repeat for the second service (you must do this for both Splunkd and Splunk Web).
7. You can now either start both services from the Service Manager or from the Splunk command line interface.
Run Splunk as a different or non-root user
This documentation applies to the following versions of Splunk® Enterprise: 4.3, 4.3.1, 4.3.2, 4.3.3, 4.3.4, 4.3.5, 4.3.6, 4.3.7