Swap the license master
So you've configured a license pool. What if you want to turn one of your license slaves into your pool's license master?
This topic spells out the steps to do that. Big picture, first you promote a slave to master. Then you demote the old master to a slave. Details follow.
1. Remove the new license master from the licensing pool and set it up as a master.
- Log into license slave (which will become new master).
- Navigate to Manager > Licensing.
- Follow the prompts to configure it as a new license master.
- Restart Splunk.
2. On the new license master, add the license keys. Check that the license keys match up to the old license master.
3. Make the other license slaves in the pool point to new license master.
- On each of the slaves, navigate to Manager > Licensing.
- Change the master license server URI to refer to the new license master and click Save.
- Restart Splunk on the license slave whose entry you just updated.
4. Check that one of the license slaves is connected to the new license master.
5. Demote the old license master to a slave:
- On the old license master, navigate to Manager > Licensing > Change to slave.
- Ignore the restart prompt.
- On the "Change to slave" screen, point the new slave to the new license master ("Designate a different Splunk instance as the master license server").
6. On the new license slave, stop Splunk and delete the old license file(s) under the /opt/splunk/etc/licenses/enterprise/ folder. (Otherwise you'll have duplicate licenses and will get errors and/or warnings.)
7. On the new license slave, start Splunk and confirm that it connects to the new license master.
Manage your licenses
About license violations
This documentation applies to the following versions of Splunk® Enterprise: 4.3, 4.3.1, 4.3.2, 4.3.3, 4.3.4, 4.3.5, 4.3.6, 4.3.7, 5.0, 5.0.1, 5.0.2, 5.0.3, 5.0.4, 5.0.5, 5.0.6, 5.0.7, 5.0.8, 5.0.9, 5.0.10, 5.0.11, 5.0.12, 5.0.13, 5.0.14, 5.0.15, 5.0.16, 5.0.17, 5.0.18