About Splunk Manager
To configure Splunk from within Splunk Web, use Splunk Manager. To access Splunk Manager, log into Splunk Web and click Manager in the upper right:
Users with admin privileges can access all the areas of Manager. Other users have limited access to Manager.
The Manager page is divided into a number of areas, described below.
From the Apps area, you can manage:
- Apps: Edit permissions for installed apps, create new apps, or browse Splunkbase for apps created by the community.
From the Knowledge area, you can manage:
- Searches and reports: View, edit, and set permissions on searches and reports. Set up alerts and summary indexing.
- Event types: View, edit, and set permissions on event types.
- Tags: Manage tags on field values.
- Fields: View, edit, and set permissions on field extractions. Define event workflow actions and field aliases. Rename source types.
- Lookups: Configure lookup tables and lookups.
- User interface: Create and edit views, dashboards, and navigation menus.
- Advanced search: Create and edit search macros. Set permissions on search commands.
- All configurations: See all configurations across all apps.
From the System area, you can manage:
- System settings: Manage system settings including ports, host name, index path, email server settings (for alerts), and system logging.
- Clustering: Enable components and view status.
- Licensing: View license usage statistics and apply a new license.
- Server controls: Restart Splunk.
From the Data area, you can manage:
- Data inputs: Add data to Splunk from scripts, files, directories, and network ports.
- Forwarding and receiving: Configure this Splunk instance to send or receive data.
- Indexes: Create new indexes and manage index size preferences.
- Report acceleration summaries: Manage saved search summaries.
From the Deployment area, you can manage:
- Distributed search: Set up distributed search across multiple Splunk instances.
- Deployment: Deploy and manage configuration settings across multiple Splunk instances.
Users and Authentication
From the Users and Authentication area, you can manage:
- Access controls: Specify authentication method (Splunk or LDAP), create or modify users, and manage roles.
- Your account: Change full name, email address, default app, timezone, or password.
Splunk configuration methods
About configuration files
This documentation applies to the following versions of Splunk® Enterprise: 5.0, 5.0.1, 5.0.2, 5.0.3, 5.0.4, 5.0.5, 5.0.6, 5.0.7, 5.0.8, 5.0.9, 5.0.10, 5.0.11, 5.0.12, 5.0.13, 5.0.14, 5.0.15, 5.0.16, 5.0.17, 5.0.18