Where to get more apps and add-ons
You can find new apps and add-ons on http://apps.splunk.com.
You can access Splunkbase from Splunk Home, so you can download and install apps directly within Splunk. Click the Find More Apps button under the Splunk Home tab.
When you log into Splunk Web, you see Splunk Home by default. You can always get back to Splunk Home from the App menu in the upper right-hand corner of the main page of any Splunk-provided app.
If you are connected to the internet
If your Splunk server or your client machine are connected to the internet, you can download apps directly from Splunk Home:
1. From Splunk Home, click on the Splunk Home tab. Then click Find More Apps button on the right. This will connect you to Splunk Apps, where you can download apps and add-ons available for this version of Splunk.
2. Pick the app or add-on you want and select Install.
3. You will be prompted to log in with your splunk.com username and password (note that this is not your Splunk username and password).
4. Your app or add-on will be installed. If it has a Web GUI component (most add-ons contain only knowledge objects like event type definitions and don't have any GUI context), you can navigate to it from Splunk Home.
Important: If Splunk Web is located behind a proxy server, you might have trouble accessing Splunk Apps. To solve this problem, you need to set the
http_proxy environment variable, as described in "Specify a proxy server".
If you are not connected to the internet
If your Splunk server and client do not have internet connectivity, you must download apps from the Splunk Apps page and copy them over to your server:
1. From a computer connected to the internet, browse  for the app or add-on you want.
2. Download the app or add-on.
3. Copy this app over to your Splunk server.
4. Put the app in your
5. Untar and ungzip your app or add-on, using a tool like
tar -xvf (on *nix) or WinZip (on Windows). Note that Splunk apps are packaged with a .SPL extension although they are just tarred and gzipped. You may need to force your tool to recognize this extension.
6. You may need to restart Splunk, depending on the contents of the app or add-on.
7. Your app or add-on is now installed and will be available from Splunk Home (if it has a web UI component).
What are apps and add-ons?
App architecture and object ownership
This documentation applies to the following versions of Splunk® Enterprise: 4.3, 4.3.1, 4.3.2, 4.3.3, 4.3.4, 4.3.5, 4.3.6, 4.3.7, 5.0, 5.0.1, 5.0.2, 5.0.3, 5.0.4, 5.0.5, 5.0.6, 5.0.7, 5.0.8, 5.0.9, 5.0.10, 5.0.11, 5.0.12, 5.0.13, 5.0.14, 5.0.15, 5.0.16, 5.0.17, 5.0.18