Managing app configurations and properties
You can manage the configurations and properties for apps and add-ons installed in your Splunk instance. Go to Manager > Apps to list the apps installed in the Splunk instance. From this page you can do the following:
- Edit permissions for an app
- Enable or disable an app
- Perform actions, such as launch the app, edit the properties, and view app objects
The configurations available to you for each app depends on the access control permissions for the app. The edits you make to configuration and properties depend on whether you are the owner of the app or a user of the app.
Edit app properties
Go to Manager > Apps and select Edit properties for an app. You can make the following edits for apps installed in this Splunk instance.
- Name Change the display name of the app in Splunk Web.
- Update checking By default, update checking is enabled for apps. You can override the default and disable update checking. See Checking for app updates below for details.
- Visible Apps with views should be visible. Add-on, which typically do not have view, should disable the visible property.
Refer to Apps and add-ons: An Introduction for details on the configuration and properties of apps and add-ons.
Checking for app updates
Beginning with Splunk 4.2, you can configure whether to check Splunkbase for updates to an app. By default, checking for updates is enabled. You can disable checking for updates for an app by editing this property from Manager > Apps > Edit properties.
However, if this property is not available from Splunk Manager, you can also manually edit the apps
app.conf file to disable checking for updates. Create or edit the following stanza in
$SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps/<app_name>/local/app.conf to disable checking for updates:
[package] check_for_updates = 0
Note: Edit the local version of
app.conf, not the default version. This avoids overriding your setting with the next update of the app.
Manage app and add-on objects
Splunk configuration methods
This documentation applies to the following versions of Splunk® Enterprise: 4.3, 4.3.1, 4.3.2, 4.3.3, 4.3.4, 4.3.5, 4.3.6, 4.3.7, 5.0, 5.0.1, 5.0.2, 5.0.3, 5.0.4, 5.0.5, 5.0.6, 5.0.7, 5.0.8, 5.0.9, 5.0.10, 5.0.11, 5.0.12, 5.0.13, 5.0.14, 5.0.15, 5.0.16, 5.0.17, 5.0.18