This topic discusses the basic steps required to install Splunk on a computer. We strongly suggest that you read this topic and the contents of this chapter first before performing an installation.
The following list provides general guidance on how to install Splunk:
1. Review the system requirements for installation. Specific additional requirements might apply based on the operating system you install Splunk on, and how you plan to use Splunk.
3. Download the correct installation package for your system from the Splunk download page.
4. Perform the installation using the step-by-step installation instructions for your operating system.
5. After you've installed Splunk, you can calculate how much space you need to index your data. Read "Estimate your storage requirements" for additional information.
6. If you plan to run Splunk in a production environment, review "Hardware capacity planning for your Splunk deployment" in this manual for insight into the amount of hardware a Splunk deployment requires.
Upgrading or migrating a Splunk instance?
If you're upgrading from an earlier version of Splunk, read "How to upgrade Splunk" in this manual for information and specific instructions.
If you want to know how to migrate a Splunk instance from one system to another, read "Migrate a Splunk instance" in this manual.
What's in this manual
This documentation applies to the following versions of Splunk® Enterprise: 5.0, 5.0.1, 5.0.2, 5.0.3, 5.0.4, 5.0.5, 5.0.6, 5.0.7, 5.0.8, 5.0.9, 5.0.10, 5.0.11, 5.0.12, 5.0.13, 5.0.14, 5.0.15, 5.0.16, 5.0.17, 5.0.18