The tscollect command is an internal command used to save search results into a tsidx formatted file. Currently, it is an experimental command and not supported by Splunk. No data you collect with this command will be compatible with later versions of Splunk Enterprise.
tscollect command uses indexed fields to create time series index (tsidx) files in a namespace that you define. The result tables in these files are a subset of the data that you've already indexed. This then enables you to use the
tstats command to search and report on these tsidx files instead of searching raw data. Because you are searching on a subset of the full index, the search should complete faster than it would otherwise.
tscollect can create multiple tsidx files in the same namespace. It will begin a new tsidx file when it determines that the one it's currently creating has gotten big enough.
Writes results into tsidx file(s) for later use by tstats command.
Important: The 'indexes_edit' capability is required to run this command.
... | tscollect namespace=<string> [squashcase=<bool>] [keepresults=<bool>]
- Syntax: keepresults = true | false
- Description: If true, tscollect outputs the same results it received as input. If false, tscollect returns the count of results processed (this is more efficient since it does not need to store as many results). Defaults to false.
- Syntax: namespace=<string>
- Description: Define a location for the tsidx file(s). If namespace is provided, the tsidx files are written to a directory of that name under the main tsidxstats directory (that is, within
$SPLUNK_DB/tsidxstats). These namespaces can be written to multiple times to add new data. If namespace is not provided, the files are written to a directory within the job directory of that search, and will live as long as the job does. This namespace location is also configurable in
index.conf, with the attribute
- Syntax: squashcase = true | false
- Description: Specify whether or not the case for the entire field::value tokens are case sensitive when it is put into the lexicon. To create indexed field tsidx files similar to Splunk's, set squashcase=true for results to be converted to all lowercase. Defaults to false.
Example 1: Write the results table to tsidx files in namespace foo.
... | tscollect namespace=foo
Example 2: Retrieve events from the main index and write the values of field foo to tsidx files in the job directory.
index=main | fields foo | tscollect
Have questions? Visit Splunk Answers and see what questions and answers the Splunk community has using the tscollect command.
This documentation applies to the following versions of Splunk® Enterprise: 5.0, 5.0.1, 5.0.2, 5.0.3, 5.0.4, 5.0.5, 5.0.6, 5.0.7, 5.0.8, 5.0.9, 5.0.10, 5.0.11, 5.0.12, 5.0.13, 5.0.14, 5.0.15, 5.0.16, 5.0.17, 5.0.18