Create or edit a license pool
This topic discusses creating a license pool from one or more installed licenses, as well as editing an existing license pool. Before you proceed, you may want to review these topics:
- Read "How Splunk licensing works" in this manual for an introduction to Splunk licensing.
- Read "Groups, stacks, pools, and other terminology" in this manual for more information about Splunk license terms.
- Read "Install a license" to learn more about installing licenses.
- Read "Manage licenses from the CLI" in this manual for help with performing these tasks from the command line.
When you first download and install Splunk, it includes a 500 MB 60-day Enterprise Trial license. This instance of Splunk is automatically configured as a stand-alone license master, and you cannot create a pool or define any license slaves for this type of license. If you want to create one or more stacks or pools and assign multiple indexers to them, you must purchase and install an Enterprise license.
In the following example, a 5 MB Enterprise license has just been installed onto a brand new Splunk installation:
When you install an Enterprise license onto a brand new Splunk server, Splunk automatically creates an Enterprise license stack called Splunk Enterprise Stack from it and defines a default license pool for it called
The default configuration for this default pool adds any license slave that connects to this license master to the pool. You can edit the pool to change this configuration, to add more indexers to it, or create a new license pool from this stack.
To edit an existing license pool
1. Click Edit next to the license pool you want to edit. The Edit license pool page is displayed.
2. If desired, change the allocation or alter how indexers are permitted to access this pool. You can also change the description, but not the name of the pool.
3. Click Submit.
To create a new license pool
Important: Before you can create a new license pool from the default Enterprise stack, you must make some indexing volume available by either editing the
auto_generated_pool_enterprise pool and reducing its allocation, or deleting the pool entirely. Click Delete next to the pool's name to delete it.
2. Specify a name and optionally, a description for the pool.
3. Set the allocation for this pool. The allocation is how much of the overall stack's licensing volume is available for use by the indexers who belong to this pool. The allocation can be a specific value, or the entire amount of indexing volume available in the stack, as long as it is not allocated to any other pool.
4. Specify how indexers are to access this pool. The options are:
- Any indexer in your environment that is configured as license slave can connect to this license pool and use the license allocation within it.
- Only indexers that you specify can connect to this pool and use the license allocation within it.
5. To specify indexers to allow, click the plus sign next to the name of the indexer in the list of Available indexers to move it into the list of Associated indexers.
Configure a license slave
Add an indexer to a license pool
This documentation applies to the following versions of Splunk® Enterprise: 4.3, 4.3.1, 4.3.2, 4.3.3, 4.3.4, 4.3.5, 4.3.6, 4.3.7, 5.0, 5.0.1, 5.0.2, 5.0.3, 5.0.4, 5.0.5, 5.0.6, 5.0.7, 5.0.8, 5.0.9, 5.0.10, 5.0.11, 5.0.12, 5.0.13, 5.0.14, 5.0.15, 5.0.16, 5.0.17, 5.0.18