This topic discusses the steps required to install Splunk Enterprise on a computer. We strongly suggest that you read this topic and the contents of this chapter first before attempting an installation.
The following list provides guidance on how to install Splunk Enterprise:
1. Review the system requirements for installation. Specific additional requirements might apply based on the operating system you install Splunk Enterprise on, and how you plan to use Splunk Enterprise.
3. Read the Secure your Splunk Enterprise installation" chapter and, where appropriate, secure the machine(s) on which you plan to install Splunk Enterprise.
4. Download the correct installation package for your system from the Splunk Enterprise download page.
5. Perform the installation using the step-by-step installation instructions for your operating system.
6. If this is the first time you have installed Splunk Enterprise, you might want to consider reading the Splunk Search Tutorial to learn how to index data into Splunk and search that data using the Splunk Enterprise search language.
7. After you've installed Splunk Enterprise, you can calculate how much space you need to index your data. Read "Estimate your storage requirements" for additional information.
8. If you plan to run Splunk Enterprise in a production environment, read "Hardware capacity planning for your Splunk Enterprise deployment" in this manual for insight into the amount of hardware a Splunk Enterprise deployment requires.
Upgrading or migrating a Splunk Enterprise instance?
If you plan to upgrade from an earlier version of Splunk Enterprise, read "How to upgrade Splunk Enterprise" in this manual for information and specific instructions. For tips on migrating from one specific version to another, read the "READ THIS FIRST" topic for the version you want to upgrade to. This topic is in the "Upgrade or Migrate Splunk Enterprise" chapter of this manual.
If you want to know how to move a Splunk Enterprise instance from one system to another, read "Migrate a Splunk instance" in this manual.
What's in this manual
This documentation applies to the following versions of Splunk® Enterprise: 6.0, 6.0.1, 6.0.2, 6.0.3, 6.0.4, 6.0.5, 6.0.6, 6.0.7, 6.0.8, 6.0.9, 6.0.10, 6.0.11, 6.0.12, 6.0.13, 6.0.14, 6.0.15, 6.1, 6.1.1, 6.1.2, 6.1.3, 6.1.4, 6.1.5, 6.1.6, 6.1.7, 6.1.8, 6.1.9, 6.1.10, 6.1.11, 6.1.12, 6.1.13, 6.1.14