Install Splunk Enterprise on Linux, Windows, or Mac OS X
This topic provides brief installation instructions for the Linux, Windows, or Mac OS X platform.
If you have problems installing Splunk Enterprise on one of these platforms or you want to complete this tutorial on another supported OS, see the "Step-by-step installation instructions" for that platform and continue to Part 2: Getting started with Splunk.
Linux installation instructions
Splunk Enterprise provides three Linux installer options: an RPM, a DEB, and a compressed .tar file. Installation instructions for each installer follows.
Note: You must have access to a command-line interface (CLI). When you type in the installation commands, replace
splunk_package_name with the file name of Splunk Enterprise installer.
By default, Splunk Enterprise installs into the
/opt/splunk directory on Linux.
To install the Splunk RPM,
1. Type the following into the CLI. Use the optional
--prefix flag to install Splunk into a different directory.
rpm -i --prefix=/opt/new_directory splunk_package_name.rpm
To install the Splunk DEB package,
1. Type the following into the CLI. You can only install the Splunk DEB into the default
dpkg -i splunk_package_name.deb
To install Splunk using the compressed tar file,
1. Expand the file into the appropriate directory using the
tar command. The default install directory is
/splunk in the current working directory. To install into a specific directory, such as
/opt/splunk, use the
tar xvzf splunk_package_name.tgz -C /opt
For detailed instructions about installing Splunk Enterprise on Linux, see the "Step-by-step Linux installation instructions" in the Installation manual.
Windows installation instructions
Follow these steps to install Splunk Enterprise using the MSI graphical installer.
1. To start the installer, double-click the
2. In the Welcome panel, click Next.
3. Read the licensing agreement and select "I accept the terms in the license agreement" check box.
4. Click Next.
5. In Customer Information, enter the requested details and click Next.
6. In the Destination Folder panel, click Change... to specify a different location, or click Next to accept the default value.
Splunk Enterprise is installed by default into the
\Program Files\Splunk directory.
7. In the Logon Information panel, select Local system user and click Next.
To learn about the other user option, see the instructions for "installing Splunk Enterprise on Windows" in the Installation manual.
8. After you specify a user, the pre-installation summary panel appears. Click Install.
9. In the Installation Complete panel, select the Launch browser with Splunk and Create Start Menu Shortcut check boxes
10. Click Finish.
The installation finishes, Splunk Enterprise starts, and Splunk Web launches in a supported browser.
Mac OS X installation instructions
Follow these steps to install Splunk using the DMG graphical installer.
1. Navigate to the folder or directory where the installer is located.
2. Double-click on the DMG file.
A Finder window containing
3. Double-click on
The Splunk installer opens and displays the Introduction, which lists version and copyright information.
4. Click Continue.
The Select a Destination window opens.
5. Choose a location to install Splunk.
- To install in the default directory,
/Applications/splunk, click the hard drive icon.
- To select a different location, click Choose Folder.
6. Click Continue.
The pre-installation summary appears. I
7. (Optional) To make changes, do one of the following actions.
- Click Change Install Location to choose a new folder.
- Click Back to go back a step.
8. Click Install.
Your installation begins.
8. When your install finishes, click Finish.
The installer places a shortcut on the Desktop.
Continue to "Start Splunk Enterprise and launch Splunk Web" to start Splunk.
What you need for this tutorial
Start Splunk Enterprise and launch Splunk Web
This documentation applies to the following versions of Splunk® Enterprise: 6.0, 6.0.1, 6.0.2, 6.0.3, 6.0.4, 6.0.5, 6.0.6, 6.0.7, 6.0.8, 6.0.9, 6.0.10, 6.0.11, 6.0.12, 6.0.13, 6.0.14, 6.0.15, 6.1, 6.1.1, 6.1.2, 6.1.3, 6.1.4, 6.1.5, 6.1.6, 6.1.7, 6.1.8, 6.1.9, 6.1.10, 6.1.11, 6.1.12, 6.1.13, 6.1.14