Where to get more apps and add-ons
You can find new apps and add-ons on Splunkbase: https://splunkbase.splunk.com/.
You can access Splunkbase from the Splunk Enterprise User bar, and download and install apps directly within Splunk Enterprise. Click the Apps menu and select Find more Apps.
When you log into Splunk Web, you see Splunk Home by default. You can always get back to Splunk Home by clicking on the Splunk logo at the top (left-hand side) of the page.
If you are connected to the internet
If your Splunk Enterprise server or your client machine are connected to the internet, you can download apps and add-ons directly from Splunk Home:
1. In the User bar, click on the Apps menu and select Find More Apps.
2. In the list of apps and add-ons, pick the app or add-on you want and select Download App.
3. You will be prompted to log in with your splunk.com username and password (note that this is not your Splunk Enterprise username and password).
4. Your selected item is installed. If it has a Web GUI component (most add-ons contain only knowledge objects like event type definitions and don't have any GUI context), you can navigate to it from Splunk Home.
Important: If Splunk Web is located behind a proxy server, you might have trouble accessing Splunkbase. To solve this problem, you need to set the
HTTP_PROXY environment variable, as described in "Specify a proxy server".
If you are not connected to the internet
If your Splunk Enterprise server and client do not have internet connectivity, you must download apps from Splunkbase and copy them over to your server:
1. From a computer connected to the internet, browse Splunkbase for the app or add-on you want.
2. Download the app or add-on.
3. Once downloaded, copy it to your Splunk Enterprise server.
4. Put it in your
5. Untar and ungzip your app or add-on, using a tool like
tar -xvf (on *nix) or WinZip (on Windows). Note that Splunk apps and add-ons are packaged with a .SPL extension although they are just tarred and gzipped. You may need to force your tool to recognize this extension.
6. You may need to restart Splunk Enterprise, depending on the contents of the app or add-on.
7. Your app or add-on is now installed and will be available from Splunk Home (if it has a web UI component).
Configure Splunk Web to open directly to an app
App architecture and object ownership
This documentation applies to the following versions of Splunk® Enterprise: 6.0, 6.0.1, 6.0.2, 6.0.3, 6.0.4, 6.0.5, 6.0.6, 6.0.7, 6.0.8, 6.0.9, 6.0.10, 6.0.11, 6.0.12, 6.0.13, 6.0.14, 6.0.15, 6.1, 6.1.1, 6.1.2, 6.1.3, 6.1.4, 6.1.5, 6.1.6, 6.1.7, 6.1.8, 6.1.9, 6.1.10, 6.1.11, 6.1.12, 6.1.13, 6.1.14, 6.2.0, 6.2.1, 6.2.2, 6.2.3, 6.2.4, 6.2.5, 6.2.6, 6.2.7, 6.2.8, 6.2.9, 6.2.10, 6.2.11, 6.2.12, 6.2.13, 6.2.14, 6.2.15