Upgrade a search head cluster
This topic covers the set of search head cluster upgrade scenarios. Currently, the possible scenarios consist of:
- Upgrade to a new maintenance release
Upgrade to a new maintenance release
To upgrade a search head cluster to a new maintenance release (for example, from 6.2.1 to 6.2.2), perform these steps:
1. Stop all cluster members.
2. Upgrade all members.
3. Stop the deployer.
4. Upgrade the deployer.
5. Restart the deployer.
6. Restart the members.
7. Wait one to two minutes for captain election to complete. The cluster will then begin functioning.
Note the following:
- All cluster members must be running the same version of Splunk Enterprise (down to the maintenance level).
- You can run search head cluster members against 5.x or 6.x search peers, so it is not necessary to upgrade the indexers at the same time. See "Splunk Enterprise version compatibility."
Migrate from a search head pool to a search head cluster
Configure the search head cluster
This documentation applies to the following versions of Splunk® Enterprise: 6.2.0, 6.2.1, 6.2.2, 6.2.3, 6.2.4, 6.2.5, 6.2.6