Other manuals for the Splunk administrator
The Admin Manual is one of several books with important information and procedures for the Splunk administrator. But it's just the beginning of what you can do with Splunk software.
If you need to configure, run, or maintain Splunk software as a service for yourself or other users, start with this book. Then go to these other manuals for details on specific areas of Splunk administration:
|Manual||What it covers||Key topic areas|
|Getting Data In||Specifying data inputs and improving how Splunk handles data||How to get data into Splunk|
Configure event processing
Preview your data
|Managing Indexers and Clusters||Managing Splunk indexers and clusters of indexers||About indexing and indexers|
Back up and archive your indexes
About clusters and index replication
|Distributed Deployment||Scaling your deployment to fit the needs of your enterprise.||Distributed Splunk overview|
|Forwarding Data||Forwarding data into Splunk.||Forward data|
|Distributed Search||Using search heads to distribute searches across multiple indexers.||Search across multiple indexers|
|Updating Splunk Components||Using the deployment server and forwarder management to update Splunk components such as forwarders and indexers.||Deploy updates across your environment|
|Securing Splunk||Data security and user authentication||User authentication and roles|
Encryption and authentication with SSL
|Troubleshooting||Solving problems||First steps|
Splunk log files
Some common scenarios
|Installation||Installing and upgrading Splunk||System requirements|
Step by step installation procedures
Upgrade from an earlier version
The topic "Learn to administer Splunk" provides more detailed guidance on where to go to read about specific admin tasks.
Other books of interest to the Splunk administrator
In addition to the manuals that describe the primary administration tasks, you might want to visit other manuals from time to time, depending on the size of your Splunk installation and the scope of your responsibilities. These are other manuals in the Splunk core documentation set:
- Splunk Tutorial. This manual provides an introduction to searching with Splunk.
- Knowledge Manager. This manual describes how to manage Splunk knowledge objects, such as event types, tags, lookups, field extractions, workflow actions, saved searches, and views.
- Alerting. This manual describes Splunk's alerting and monitoring functionality.
- Data Visualizations. This manual describes the range of visualizations that Splunk provides.
- Search Manual. This manual tells you how to search and how to use the Splunk search language.
- Search Reference. This reference contains a detailed catalog of the Splunk search commands.
- Developing Views and Apps for Splunk Web. This manual explains how to develop views and apps using advanced XML. It also contains other developer topics, such as custom scripts and extending Splunk.
- REST API Reference. This manual provides information on all publicly accessible REST API endpoints.
- Release Notes. Look here for information about new features, known issues, and fixed problems.
The larger world of Splunk documentation
For links to the full set of Splunk core documentation, including the manuals listed above, visit: Splunk core documentation.
To access all the Splunk documentation, including manuals for apps, go to this page: Welcome to Splunk documentation.
Splunk administration: The big picture
Introduction for Windows admins
This documentation applies to the following versions of Splunk® Enterprise: 6.2.0, 6.2.1, 6.2.2, 6.2.3, 6.2.4, 6.2.5, 6.2.6, 6.2.7, 6.2.8, 6.2.9, 6.2.10, 6.2.11, 6.2.12, 6.2.13, 6.2.14, 6.2.15