Configure the master with the dashboard
You can edit the master configuration through its dashboard:
1. Click Settings on the upper right side of Splunk Web.
2. In the Distributed Environment group, click Indexer clustering.
3. Select the Edit button on the upper right side of the dashboard.
Note: The Edit button is disabled for multisite clusters.
The Edit button presents several options:
- Node Type. Change the instance's node type. Caution: It is extremely unlikely that you will want to change the node type for nodes in an active cluster. Consider the consequences carefully before doing so.
- Master Node Configuration. Change these master node settings:
- Replication Factor. Change the cluster's replication factor. Warning: It is inadvisable to increase the replication factor after your cluster contains significant amounts of data. Doing so will kick off a great deal of bucket activity, which will have an adverse effect on the cluster's performance while bucket copies are being created.
- Search Factor. Change the cluster's search factor. Warning: It is inadvisable to increase the replication factor after your cluster contains significant amounts of data. Doing so will kick off a great deal of bucket activity, which will have an adverse effect on the cluster's performance while bucket copies are being made searchable.
- Security Key. Change the secret key. Only change the secret key if you are also changing it for all other nodes in the cluster. The key must be the same across all instances in a cluster.
- Distribute Configuration Bundle. Distribute updated configurations and apps to the set of peer nodes. For details of this process, see the topic "Update cluster peer configurations and apps".
- Disable Indexer Clustering. Remove this node from the cluster. Warning: If you remove the master node from the cluster, the entire cluster will eventually fail.
For information on using this dashboard to view cluster status, see "View the master dashboard".
Master configuration overview
Configure the master with server.conf
This documentation applies to the following versions of Splunk® Enterprise: 6.2.0, 6.2.1, 6.2.2, 6.2.3, 6.2.4, 6.2.5, 6.2.6, 6.2.7, 6.2.8, 6.2.9, 6.2.10, 6.2.11, 6.2.12, 6.2.13, 6.2.14, 6.2.15