Install Splunk Enterprise on Linux, Windows, or Mac OS X
This topic provides installation instructions for the following platforms and packages:
- Windows MSI graphical installer
- Mac OSX DMG package installer
- Linux RPM, DEB, and .tar file installers
For other installers or another supported OS, see the "Step-by-step installation instructions" for that platform. After installing Splunk Enterprise, you can continue to Part 2: Getting started with Splunk Enterprise.
Windows installation instructions
Install Splunk Enterprise using the MSI graphical installer.
1. To start the installer, double-click the
2. In the Welcome panel, click Next.
3. Read the licensing agreement and select "I accept the terms in the license agreement" check box.
4. Click Next.
5. In Customer Information, enter the requested details and click Next.
6. In the Destination Folder panel, click Change to specify a different location, or click Next to accept the default value.
- Splunk Enterprise is installed by default into the
7. In the Logon Information panel, select Local system user and click Next.
- For other user options, see the instructions for "Install on Windows" in the Installation Manual.
8. After you specify a user, the preinstallation summary panel appears. Click Install.
9. In the Installation Complete panel, select the Launch browser with Splunk and Create Start Menu Shortcut check boxes
10. Click Finish.
- The installation finishes, Splunk Enterprise starts, and Splunk Web launches in a supported browser.
Mac OS X installation instructions
Install Splunk using the DMG graphical installer.
1. Navigate to the folder or directory where the installer is located.
2. Double-click on the DMG file.
- A Finder window containing
3. Double-click on
- The Splunk installer opens and displays the Introduction, which lists version and copyright information.
4. Click Continue.
- The Select a Destination window opens.
5. Choose a location to install Splunk.
- To install in the default directory,
/Applications/splunk, click the hard drive icon.
- To select a different location, click Choose Folder.
6. Click Continue.
- The preinstallation summary appears.
7. (Optional) To make changes, do one of the following actions.
- Click Change Install Location to choose a new folder.
- Click Back to go back a step.
8. Click Install.
- Your installation begins.
9. When your install finishes, click Finish.
- The installer places a shortcut on the Desktop.
Linux installation instructions
Splunk Enterprise provides three Linux installer options: an RPM, a DEB, and a compressed .tar file.
Note: You must have access to a command-line interface (CLI). When you type in the installation commands, replace
splunk_package_name with the file name of Splunk Enterprise installer.
By default, Splunk Enterprise installs into the
/opt/splunk directory on Linux.
Install the Splunk Enterprise RPM
1. Type the following line into the CLI. Use the optional
--prefix flag to install Splunk into a different directory.
rpm -i --prefix=/opt/new_directory splunk_package_name.rpm
Install the Splunk Enterprise DEB package
1. Type the following into the CLI. You can only install the Splunk DEB into the default
dpkg -i splunk_package_name.deb
Install Splunk Enterprise using the compressed tar file
1. Expand the file into the appropriate directory using the
tar command. The default install directory is
/splunk in the current working directory. To install into a specific directory, such as
/opt/splunk, use the
tar xvzf splunk_package_name.tgz -C /opt
For detailed instructions about installing Splunk Enterprise on Linux, see the "Install on Linux" in the Installation Manual.
Continue to "Start Splunk Enterprise and launch Splunk Web" to start Splunk.
What you need for this tutorial
Start Splunk Enterprise and launch Splunk Web
This documentation applies to the following versions of Splunk® Enterprise: 6.2.0, 6.2.1, 6.2.2, 6.2.3, 6.2.4, 6.2.5, 6.2.6, 6.2.7, 6.2.8, 6.2.9, 6.2.10, 6.2.11, 6.2.12, 6.2.13, 6.2.14, 6.2.15, 6.3.0, 6.3.1, 6.3.2, 6.3.3, 6.3.4, 6.3.5, 6.3.6, 6.3.7, 6.3.8, 6.3.9, 6.3.10, 6.3.11, 6.3.12, 6.3.13, 6.3.14