Compatibility between forwarders and indexers
Here are the specific version compatibility restrictions between forwarders and their receiving indexers:
- A forwarder that runs version 6.x can send data to indexers that run version 5.0.x and later.
- An indexer that runs version 6.x can accept data from forwarders that run version 4.3.x and later.
- Forwarders can be of any type: heavy, light, or universal. There are no compatibility differences between forwarder types.
The following 6.x features are available only if both indexers and forwarders are at version 6.0 or higher:
- Dynamic file headers
- Forwarding of structured data
- Timezone transmission by the forwarder. The timezone transmission feature of the 6.0+ protocol is not maintained across multiple forwarding links in a multilevel forwarding scenario where intermediate links are light or universal forwarders.
For app-specific compatibility restrictions, check the app documentation on Splunkbase.
As a best practice, we recommend that indexers be at the same or higher version of Splunk Enterprise than the forwarders they are receiving data from.
Forwarder deployment topologies
Universal forwarder deployment overview
This documentation applies to the following versions of Splunk® Enterprise: 6.3.0, 6.3.1, 6.3.2, 6.3.3, 6.3.4, 6.3.5, 6.3.6, 6.3.7, 6.3.8, 6.3.9, 6.3.10, 6.3.11, 6.3.12, 6.3.13, 6.3.14