About the distributed management console
What is the distributed management console?
The distributed management console (DMC) lets you view detailed topology and performance information about your Splunk Enterprise deployment. The topics in this chapter describe the available dashboards and alerts.
The available dashboards provide insight into the following areas of your deployment or instance:
- search performance
- indexing performance
- operating system resource usage
- Splunk app key value store performance
- search head and indexer clustering
- index and volume usage
- forwarder connections
- and license usage.
The DMC dashboards use data from Splunk Enterprise internal log files such as metrics.log, as well as data available from Splunk Enterprise platform instrumentation.
Find the distributed management console
From anywhere in Splunk Web, click Settings, and then click the Distributed Management Console icon on the left.
DMC is visible only to users with the Splunk Enterprise admin role.
There are three main configuration states for the DMC.
- You can leave DMC unconfigured in standalone mode on your Splunk Enterprise instance, which means that you can navigate to the DMC on your individual instance in your deployment and see that particular instance's performance.
- You can go through the configuration steps, still in standalone mode, which lets you access the default platform alerts.
- If you go through the configuration steps for distributed mode, you can log into one instance and view performance information for every instance in the deployment.
Multi-instance deployment DMC setup steps
This documentation applies to the following versions of Splunk® Enterprise: 6.3.0, 6.3.1, 6.3.2, 6.3.3, 6.3.4, 6.3.5, 6.3.6, 6.3.7, 6.3.8, 6.3.9, 6.3.10, 6.3.11, 6.3.12, 6.3.13, 6.3.14