Components that help to manage your deployment
Management components support the activities of the processing components. A deployment usually includes one or more of these management components:
- The distributed management console performs centralized monitoring of the entire deployment.
- The deployment server updates configurations and distributes apps to processing components, primarily forwarders.
- The license master handles Splunk Enterprise licensing.
- The cluster master, or "master node," coordinates the activities of an indexer cluster. It also handles updates for indexer clusters.
As with processing components, management components are specially configured versions of Splunk Enterprise instances.
Depending on the component and its workload, you can frequently combine management components on a single Splunk Enterprise instance. In some cases, you can locate the management component on the same instance as a processing component.
See the documentation for the specific component to learn of any co-location possibilities:
- For the distributed management console, see "Which instance should host the console?" in the Distributed Management Console Manual.
- For the deployment server, see "Plan a deployment" in the Updating Splunk Enterprise Instances manual.
- For the license master, see "Configure a license master" in the Admin Manual.
- For the cluster master, see "Additional roles for the master node" in the Managing Indexers and Clusters of Indexers manual.
- For the deployer, see "Deployer requirements" in the Distributed Search manual.
Components and the data pipeline
Key manuals for a distributed deployment
This documentation applies to the following versions of Splunk® Enterprise: 6.3.0, 6.3.1, 6.3.2, 6.3.3, 6.3.4, 6.3.5, 6.3.6, 6.3.7, 6.3.8, 6.3.9, 6.3.10, 6.3.11, 6.3.12, 6.3.13, 6.3.14, 6.4.0, 6.4.1, 6.4.2, 6.4.3, 6.4.4, 6.4.5, 6.4.6, 6.4.7, 6.4.8, 6.4.9, 6.4.10, 6.4.11