Configure a license slave
This topic discusses configuring a Splunk Enterprise indexer as a license slave. Before you proceed, you may want to review these topics:
- Read How Splunk licensing works in this manual for an introduction to Splunk licensing.
- Read Groups, stacks, pools, and other terminology in this manual for more information about Splunk license terms.
- Read Configure a license master in this manual for instructions on setting up a license master.
- Read Manage licenses from the CLI in this manual for help with performing these tasks from the command line.
1. On the indexer you want to configure as a license slave, log into Splunk Web and navigate to Settings > Licensing.
2. Click Change to Slave.
3. Switch the radio button from Designate this Splunk instance, <this indexer>, as the master license server to Designate a different Splunk instance as the master license server.
4. Specify the license master to which this license slave should report. You must provide either an IP address or a hostname and the Splunk management port, which is 8089 by default.
Note: The IP address can be specified in IPv4 or IPv6 format. For detailed information on IPv6 support, read Configure Splunk for IPv6 in this manual.
5. Click Save. If this instance does not already have an Enterprise license installed, you must restart Splunk Enterprise. This indexer is now configured as a license slave.
To switch back, navigate to Settings > Licensing and click Switch to local master. If this instance does not already have an Enterprise license installed, you must restart Splunk for this change to take effect.
Install a license
Create or edit a license pool
This documentation applies to the following versions of Splunk® Enterprise: 6.3.0, 6.3.1, 6.3.2, 6.3.3, 6.3.4, 6.3.5, 6.3.6, 6.3.7, 6.3.8, 6.3.9, 6.3.10, 6.3.11, 6.3.12, 6.3.13, 6.3.14, 6.4.0, 6.4.1, 6.4.2, 6.4.3, 6.4.4, 6.4.5, 6.4.6, 6.4.7, 6.4.8, 6.4.9, 6.4.10, 6.4.11